Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Oct 24, 2007, 3:12 PM   #1

bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 24, 2007, 5:10 PM   #2

In my opinion, the second shot is much better than the first. The first shot has a couple problems. First, the overall appearance is somewhat dull. It is a bit soft and not well lit. Flash might have helped but usually, flash and nature don't get along well together.

The second problem is the framing. You have a large empty area on the right side of the frame. I think I would crop that out or even better, correct the problem when shooting by adjusting the zoom and position of the camera.

Your second shot is absolutely beautiful!

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2007, 6:44 PM   #3

Nice shots.

Especially #2 which happens to be the same type image I was going to pull out from last weekend's outing. Hope you don't mind.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2007, 9:59 PM   #4

Maybe I am unusually right-eyed, but as I often find when cropping is being discussed, I see it somewhat differently. With a few seconds' cut&paste, I tried the cropping for myself on these two fine shots of Bob's. I often try it out for myself; I find I can't judge cropping accurately without trying it. I often have many versions of my own images, and quite often, temporarily, of other people's.

In #1, as it stands with blank space to the right, my eye goes straight, wham, to the fine detail on the jagged edge of the central leaf, framed by the other leaves & twigs, which are a little out of focus. So it's a great example, just as it is,of subtle differential focus. I don't care about overall tonal range; I'm staring at the jagged edge.

If it was my own shot, it would have been an accident, but I suspect Bob may well have intended it. If I crop the blank space off,my eyesgo straight to the out of focus twig junction, and in my view, miss the whole point of the picture.

On the other hand, #2 led my eye distractingly into the green bush in the right hand corner. When I chopped it off to leave a squarer format, I preferred the result, which leads intriguingly round the corner in the distance.

Give it a try for yourselves! I shan't post results in order not to pollute Bob's nice thread.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2007, 5:35 AM   #5

I really like the second shot, Bob. It's the kind of color I'm used to seeing around here, but haven't yet. I went down the road just fine without even noticing the green bush on the right, until Alan mentioned it. Now, I can't take my eyes off it, lol.

The first one is a nice leaf macro, but it just doesn't have the power of the second.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote