Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Nov 3, 2007, 6:53 AM   #1

In NH a pass between mountains is known asa 'Notch'. I love driving through the notchs with the tall mountains on either side. This was taken a little early for the colors to be at peak. This year we had an extended fall lasting over many weeks rather than one quick burst of color.

This is a picture from Crawford Notch - the Willey Homesite. The Willey family operated an inn perched on the side of the mountain on the left. In August of 1827 one of the worst storms ever to hit the White Mountains caused a huge landslide on the mountain behind the house. The family, Mr & Mrs Willey, their 5 children and 2 hired men tried to make their way to a shelter that Mr Willey had built. Two days after the slide, neighbors made their way to the location to see how the family fared. They found the family dog in the untouched house. The slide split in two just above the house due to a natural overhang above. The family and hired hands all perished and three of the children were never found.

My family and I often drove through this notch late on a Friday night traveling to our rented ski home for winter weekends. Traveling from the heights to the low of the notch was an eerie experience on a cold dark night and I always think of the bravery of the early settlers who came to live in this beautiful but often lonely and harsh environment.
Attached Images

yesterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 3, 2007, 6:55 AM   #2

Another notch. This one is Bear Notch. Unlike Crawford and most of the other notchs, this notch is a very high road between the mountains.
Attached Images

Old Nov 3, 2007, 8:14 AM   #3

Very nice. I did not know about the Willey story.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2007, 8:47 AM   #4

The reflection of the sky in the water really makes this an interesting photo. Thanks for the history.
vsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2007, 7:10 PM   #5

Beautiful photos and a sad story. Thanks for sharing.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2007, 2:02 AM   #6

Great shots, I really like the first. I never heard of the Willy story either and have lived in NH most of my life, see you do learn something everyday. Thanks for sharing.
dcg0317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2007, 4:50 AM   #7

Thank you everyone for your comments.
Old Nov 4, 2007, 9:40 PM   #8

I like both shots, the water and reflections make the first one and the broad vista of the second.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2007, 11:14 PM   #9

I very much like the counterpoint of the subtle fractal stippling of the foliage with the bold geometric shapes of the blue notch of sky and its reflection.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote