Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Nov 3, 2007, 2:14 PM   #1

It was another nice day yesterday, with spectacular clouds. Pity about the houses; I'll try to remove them for display elsewhere. Note that I've caught the moon by accident just left of centre
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 3, 2007, 2:18 PM   #2

All these premature holly berries are likely to be stripped bare bythe birds long before Christmas. It's about 200m down the road from home, and provides a glorious surprise as one drives round a bend in the lane.
Attached Images

Old Nov 3, 2007, 7:32 PM   #3

There are some spectacular features in that first shot. The building/house on the right is distracting and makes the photo look tilted. I don't know if it really is or not. The pattern of the clouds is something you don't see very often. I don't see the moon unless it is that little spot to the left of the vertical patch of cloud. The tree is spectacular in its own right but does it work in this photo? I don't think so. There is not enough of showing and it almost looks like an accident. You'll proabably never get a chance to shoot this photo again but I think I would try to move to the left putting the tree on the right side. I would then get down lower so that more of the tree shows against the sky.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2007, 10:46 PM   #4

calr wrote:
Quote:
...almost looks like an accident. You'll proabably never get a chance to shoot this photo again but I think I would try to move to the left putting the tree on the right side. I would then get down lower so that more of the tree shows against the sky.
Do you prefer this one ? I haven't cropped this full frame so as to show the context. The accidental moon is at 1:1 alongside.

I spotted the shot, with even better clouds, 15 mins earlier as I drove at speed along a busy village bypass, stopped as soon as safely possible and walked back along the grass verges. I took both shots, bracketed, waiting in agony for the intermittent sunlight to emerge through clouds to the left. You're right; it's unlikely the light, the tree with its radiating branches, and the clouds with radiating threads will ever recur,ina different fortnight when we happen to have beenset 'Seasonal colours'!

So these were the best I could manage, through the gaps in the high-sided trucks speedingpast to & from a nearby industrial park.
Attached Images

Old Nov 3, 2007, 11:12 PM   #5

Alan, there are some very spectacular elements in this shot. The clouds are most impressive the way they draw the eye to the tree. The tree has spectacularly vivid colors. Yes, the houses are a little distracting, but as you said they could be removed. I like the portrait orientation (your second post) of this shot best. I think it inhances the pull of the clouds towards the tree. I even think the fence across the bottom of the shot works to lead you to tree. In the landscape crop the tree is too truncated and I feel you loose the balance and the shot is weakend. Bottom line, I really like the full frame shot much better. Well done.
Steve

Maybe a crop like this. You loose a little bit of the cloud impact, but you also loose the houses.

Last edited by smac; Jan 29, 2014 at 11:43 PM.
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2007, 11:22 PM   #6

Thanks, Steve & Cal.

My reason for the landscape crop was to improve the display of radiating streaks by making the horizontal smudge of cloudless prominent.But now I've tried again, I think I prefer the vertical one, and I'll take off the railings, and attempt (taking hours) to clone out the houses. But not here, of course!
Old Nov 4, 2007, 1:42 AM   #7

I like the first one best, as for the house yes it's distracting but just like power lines that are always in the way we just have to decided weather to shot or not or PPafter. Nice job.

dcg0317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2007, 8:48 AM   #8

Alan, I just saw a shot like this on a different forum yesterday. Only it was the full tree. I can't find it now. I was on a lot of webpage yesterday.

I like it. I hate it, too, when I get shots like this that would be great except for something totally out of your control like the buildings. I got a few nice shots last weekend that would be great except for the power lines. And, those are just too much to clone out.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2007, 9:26 AM   #9

nhmom wrote:
Quote:
Alan, I just saw a shot like this on a different forum yesterday. Only it was the full tree. I can't find it now.
It's perhaps mine in 'Landscape Photos' and it's my improved versionof a shot from thesame session, posted at 8.08am GMT this morning (Sunday). It's here...

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...amp;forum_id=8

...and I'd be delighted to hear what you think, as I love your work. I was one of those who raved about your snowy mother & child trees some time ago.

Old Nov 4, 2007, 11:11 AM   #10

Hi Alan, Took me a little while, but I found it - http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=75085 The fourth photo down. It was one of the 10 winners for the Last Photographer Standing contest. There isn't anything else in this photo but the sky, the tree and the grass. But, your photo reminded me of seeing it amongst the thousands I looked at yesterday.

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote