Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Nov 25, 2007, 12:22 PM   #1

Here's another picture of a sopranino recorder in action, which plays a fifth higher (in G) then the standard school 'descant' recorder. It's my mother-in-law's very high quality instrument, and is unusually slim. She and my wife were practising this morning for an imminent concert in the village church, with the 7 others of their recorder consort. I'd love to show you more of her, but she hates being photographed because of wrinkles, although I think she looks wonderful. If I manage to catch a rehearsal of all of them in time I'll show them to you.

Edit: Bother! I just discovered over tea they're rehearsing in our house on Dec 5th. Perhaps I'll ask for a late arrival at the 'performance' to be allowed.

Believe it or not, this is not the smallest recorder, Cal. There's also the tiny 6-inch 'garklein', an octave above the 'descant' but we haven't got one. There are pictures of both little ones at http://www.sheehans.com/recorders/garklein-sopranino.
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2007, 12:46 PM   #2

You'll remember this group under the tree from last time round, Cal, but it's not the same shot. They were posing in colour then, and here they wereactually performing at me (in 1999). I'd reloaded with Ilford XP1, an astonishingly fast B&W film using colour-style dye technology, giving very sharp fine-grained negs.

The instruments are copies of mediaeval ones. Sue is playing a 'rauschpfeife', an ear-splittingly raucous weapon even in expert hands. The curly one is a crumhorn. They are bothdouble-reed woodwind instruments, with the reed enclosed in a cap.
Attached Images

Old Nov 25, 2007, 12:59 PM   #3

Thank you for sharing, Alan. I followed your link to the recorder website and found it very intereting and informative. I think it confirmed that mine is a treble, alto (f) recorder. I love to hear a chorus of recorders with all sizes represented.

In your second photo you present some interesting specimens. I think the stringed instrument is a lute. Is the woman holding the books also playing an instrument--possibly a small percussive instrument of some type?

There is an organ stop named Krumhorn which is rather raucous reed, especially in the lower registers as used on the pedals. I suspect the naming is more than a coincidence.

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2007, 2:21 PM   #4

calr wrote:
Quote:
....I think the stringed instrument is a lute. Is the woman holding the books also playing an instrument.....organ stop named Krumhorn...rather raucous
Yes, it's a lute. We think Gill may be holding a little bell which featured in that programme. Sue says the crumhorn isn't raucous when she's playing it. This is sometimes true, but she is measuring on the Rauschpfeife Scale, which is similar to Mr. Richter's, and may be of interest to the Pentagon.

Here is a rather poor (b.i.s. - before image stabilisation) 1/2s shotof Gill winding the handle on another unusual intrument last Christmas, a hurdy-gurdy. It's only a tiny one, so I hope you'll allow it, Cal, as 2.2 images or so.
Attached Images

Old Nov 25, 2007, 5:02 PM   #5

ASlan,

Coincidentally, I just saw a picture of a hurdy-gurdy instrument on the "Antique Road Show" a few minutes ago. It's quite an elaborate stringed instrument.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote