Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Nov 29, 2007, 12:42 AM   #1

On 22nd Nov, selvin wrote:
Quote:
...Your wife looks so charming as a songbird. Does she even get an opportunity to have you pose for her pictures?...
By popular demand, we took these to order on a stroll round the hill in the afternoon sunshine the next day. I saved them until the 'challenge' traffic died down, as they're 'a little different'.

In this one I'm retaliating embarrasingly for my earlier shot when the camera & me received full blast from a loud high soprano. I'm loudly singing 'The Heavens are telling...' from Haydn's 'Creation', and I look under strain because I ran out of breath as she framedthe shot and groped for the button on a completely unfamilar camera.

I haven't cropped it because the less of me you see the better.
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2007, 12:59 AM   #2

Because the sun was so low, I couldn't find a suitable background for a duet picture, until we passed this little cliff, a natural projection screen, high on a little-visited SW-facing hillside. It was probably quarried centuries ago.

The shot reminds me of puppet opera performance of, for example, (a) 'The Magic Flute', seenmany years ago on TV as cardboard cutout black silhouettes, by a famous couple whose name I'll try & research later; and (b) 'Don Giovanni' by the Prague Puppet Theatre when we went for our daughter's Suzuki Violin Group tour in 2001.

We're attempting another bit of 'Creation', and Sue has her head thrown back for yet another high note.
Attached Images

Old Nov 29, 2007, 9:43 AM   #3

Weren't you worried about the rocks cracking in that second shot. Technically, the first shot doesn't qualify since you didn't shoot it, LOL! Great work. You truly live in God's country.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2007, 10:00 AM   #4

calr wrote:
Quote:
....doesn't qualify since you didn't shoot it, LOL!
When did you last see the Hollywood cameraman,often the real photographic artist,get the Oscar, rather than the director?! She'll have to get her own loginto Steve's, if she's not very careful.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 11:33 AM   #5

Alan T wrote:
Quote:
...cardboard cutout black silhouettes, by a famous couple whose name I'll try & research later...
It's Lotte Reiniger, on her own, ...
http://www*****eenonline.org.uk/people/id/528134/index.html,...whose name I'm confusing with Hans & Lotte Hass, who were early film/TV scuba divers, I think.

These were formative influences on my early artistic life in 1950s UK, in the early days of TV. My Dad (an academic electrical engineer) built a TV set with a 6-inch green screen from an ex-War Departmentradar set in the 1950s, so I'm one of the first Britons to have his childhood warped by TV. Butthat was the BBC, which still leads the worldin media standards. It's rapidly turning into ratings-led N.American TV , though.

Good luck to all. Keep a clear head when watching TV!
Old Nov 29, 2007, 11:32 PM   #6

1st one is definately a nice shot.
2nd one is very imaginative..... Lovely

Liu
mcliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2007, 4:07 PM   #7

Alan,

Now that you've answered my question it's time to ponder what socially significant gains have accrued. Obviously you got in a little exercise and cleared your lungs in a great setting.

You also obviously churned your brain cells quite a bit for the second shot. Quite creative.

Wonder what if any spectators thought of the whole incident?

Alan, Mahalo

selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 4:08 AM   #8

Alan T wrote:
Quote:
Because the sun was so low, I couldn't find a suitable background for a duet picture, until we passed this little cliff, a natural projection screen, high on a little-visited SW-facing hillside. It was probably quarried centuries ago.

The shot reminds me of puppet opera performance of, for example, (a) 'The Magic Flute', seenmany years ago on TV as cardboard cutout black silhouettes, by a famous couple whose name I'll try & research later; and (b) 'Don Giovanni' by the Prague Puppet Theatre when we went for our daughter's Suzuki Violin Group tour in 2001.

We're attempting another bit of 'Creation', and Sue has her head thrown back for yet another high note.
Sooo creative and sooo

Reminded methe allegory of the cave by Plato

http://faculty.washington.edu/smcohen/320/cave.htm
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 4:31 AM   #9

selvin wrote:
Quote:
...Wonder what if any spectators thought of the whole incident?...
Well, fortunately no-one was nearby, I believe, during the first really embarrassing and loud one. Just as we completed the second, a lady out for a stroll with her dogs & small children came round the corner. We thought we'd left her well behind.

I don't mind. I'm used to being thought a nutcase. I choose to call it originality,and these amusements give onlookers a good laugh. I like to raise a smile when I can.

Thanks, bahadir, you've elevated the intellectual toneas you do so well!Thanks toall.