Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Dec 2, 2007, 3:00 PM   #1

This is me and my left hand, playing the violin. What's unusual about it is that this hasn't been seen since April 2006, and it's happening again now thanks to this current 'Challenge'.

I slipped on a muddy Hebridean hillside on my Easter holiday 2006 and bent back my middle finger slightly while saving myself. It became painful & swollen, and the doctor told me to rest it, which I did, skipping the usual summer concerts. To my horror, when I got my fiddle out in August 06, ready for another season of concerts, I discovered the finger wouldn't reach the strings. It had developed into a 'bouttoniere injury' complicated by psoriatic arthritis. After months of splinting and occupational therapy exercises I was sure I'd never play again.

I returned to choral singing, after a career break of 29 years, to find the same choir, with many old friends, singing several of the same works under the same conductor as when I'd left. My return taught me that I wasn't as bad a violinist as I'd thought.

But then along came this challenge, and I thought I'd demonstrate how I couldn't play the fiddle when I tried. So I got my fiddle out the other day, and......
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2007, 3:03 PM   #2

...discovered, as you can see from the photo above, that I could play after all, with a little difficulty on shifting with the deformed finger. This is how my finger looks now, with my fingers curled as far they'll go, with little more apparent mobility and less deformity than over a year ago. But to my delight, I could play; the finger does just reach the strings, and I've been practising, and I'm fairly confident I'll be able to return to orchestras after Christmas.

This miracle would never have been discovered were it not for this 'Challenge', so I herewith express my heartfelt thanks to whoever proposed and whoever instituted it, and everyone here who's kept me interested in posting images. It has reinvigorated my musical life. A thousand thanks!
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2007, 4:39 PM   #3

Alan, thank you for your photos and poignant story. I am glad you are able to enjoy your music the way you really liked before your accident.

I had an accident involving a chainsaw about 12 years ago. I was using a small (12") chainsaw to cut up some branches from a tree we were trimming. Here is the stupid part... I was holding the piece I was cutting in my left hand and the saw in my right hand. My left hand slipped off the wood and came down right on top of the moving blade. It mangled my left index finger pretty bad but I didn't lose it. It severed a nerve at the base of the finger. An orthopedic surgeon performed reconstructive surgery and reconnected the nerve. Today, I have full motion in the finger, ugly scars on the palm side of the finger, and a partial loss of feeling in the finger. I can feel pain ok but can't feel textures in objects I am touching.

If this story is to gory, I will delete it.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2007, 5:31 PM   #4

Since we are comparing hand injuries, consider mine please. This affliction has happened to me since I joined this forum. It happens every time 40 people look at my photos without commenting.:blah:
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2007, 6:27 PM   #5

HA! Nice! I know the feeling
David French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2007, 8:20 PM   #6

Bynx wrote:
Quote:
Since we are comparing hand injuries, consider mine please. This affliction has happened to me since I joined this forum. It happens every time 40 people look at my photos without commenting.:blah:
Hey Bynx.....No comment! :blah::blah:

I know that's not an obscene gesture. We don't allow those around here! Therefore it must be a cramped muscle in your hand. Try some Ben-Gay or Icy-Hot.

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 2:11 AM   #7

Alan,

A pity we can't hear any of your fiddle music but I'm glad to see this forum has started you on the road to recovery.

Bynx,

Actually, I've become pretty inured to folks not responding in any fashion to my posts (or actually all others) in fact that I've been tempted to do worse.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2007, 8:49 AM   #8

I'm happy you are able to perform once again! I'll bet you feel complete once again.
lapstrake is offline   Reply With Quote