Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Dec 3, 2007, 4:04 AM   #1

The 'Sandstone Quartet' rehearsed at our house yesterday afternoon, under my wife's direction. I seized the opportunity to ask their permission to post these July images here.I gave them all CDs with all the shots on shortly after I took them. I posted one here then (in 'vertical orientation'), but that was a long-range shot.

They were perfectly happy with the idea, which I suppose is no surprise in the Age of Facebook. They're appropriately playing a 'Tea Dance' for a Strawberry Tea.
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 3, 2007, 4:08 AM   #2

...and here's one with my son, the other member. The clothes pegs securing the music are because it was very breezy in there, and it rained torrentially now and then, requiring hasty evacuations.

I notice my son's playing my best violin, which he took over while I couldn't play. He's way past me now in everything but sight-reading, so I'd better stay with my old fiddle, which was his until my finger trouble. Both instruments are the cast-offs of a really expert college friend of mine,from his last two upgrades. The one I'm playing in my 'miracle' post says inside it 'Henry Hales - Maker, Devizes, 1947'. My friend went to Dauntsey's School in Wiltshire near there.
Attached Images

Old Dec 3, 2007, 9:46 AM   #3

One of my favorite things is to listen to children play music or sing. It gives me such joy.
vsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 6:13 PM   #4

Very nice, Alan. At first, I though the second shot might be a rerun but I think the previous shot was a similar setting but different. Great shots of the kids.

If you are not familiar with the term "rerun", in the US, that is what we "lovingly" call repeat showings of tv programs. The cable channels are notorious for showing a program repeatedly and sometimes 3-4 times in a 24 hour period. The SciFi channel debuted "Tin Man" last evening and then showed it three more times immediately after the first. I was going to watch it but it ran an hour past my bedtime. I am sure there will be ample opportunities to see it in the coming weeks. :-D

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2007, 3:35 AM   #5

calr wrote:
Quote:
"rerun", ...is what we "lovingly" call repeat showings of tv programs.
I am only too familar with the term. Since the advent of free digital television most channels do little else, and some are wholly devoted to reruns. If the programmes are old enough they're much better than anything new.

However, our upmarket BBC4 has been running an excellent 'Genius of Photography' series http://www.bbc.co.uk/photography/genius/, which, given the BBC's ambitions for world domination, might well appear on a screen near you eventually.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 3:59 AM   #6

Alan,

Very good photos.

The BBC site is interesting. Been looking at it for some time now.

Aloha and mahalo
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2009, 1:07 AM   #7

Default Henry Hales violin

By some incredible streak of good fortune, I was browsing this site and stopped when I realized I had seen that violin before - in 1965, I think. Did it belong to SJ?

I have one that Henry made in 1944 - it has a brasher sound than yours, although I don't know if it is due to, or despite, my playing.

I'm afraid I haven't figured out how to contact you directly, and it is too late (MST here in Edmonton), for me to stay up and educate myself.

David
dmpw is offline   Reply With Quote