Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Dec 11, 2007, 11:54 AM   #1

About ten years ago, I did a lot of shooting for my mother. She was very much into antique collecting and trading. She would acquire pieces and if she could not identify the piece or find a value in one of her books, I would take detailed photos of the object and she would send them to Sotheby's for identification and apraisal.

This is one of those pieces, hence the yard stick. I am not going to say what this is. You guess it. There is definitely fabric involved, abeit not your usual concept of fabric.

The first shot is a macro. I didn't know anything about depth of field at the time. The second shot shows the entire piece.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 11, 2007, 12:55 PM   #2

Looks like a combination of beadwork and needlework. It's a beautiful piece, Cal
vsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2007, 1:36 PM   #3

Vanessa wins the prize. Now if I could just remember where I put it...

Since the depth of field is not too good (read that--LOUSY!) in the first shot, it is difficult to be sure but I seem to recall the whole thing was beadwork. I had never before seen anything like it.

Cal

Old Dec 11, 2007, 6:43 PM   #4

Its a lovely work of art for sure. Is it just a wall hanging or did it serve some other use?
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2007, 6:47 PM   #5

Bynx wrote:
Quote:
Its a lovely work of art for sure. Is it just a wall hanging or did it serve some other use?
I have no idea. I only photographed my mother's antiques. Beyond that, I had no interest.

Cal

Old Dec 11, 2007, 11:07 PM   #6

A question was raised--where is the fabric. The beading is, technically, fabric although there is fabric below and woven into the beads to hold them. As for support to the idea that beading is fabric, I cite beaded lady's sweaters and dresses.

Cal

Old Dec 12, 2007, 1:37 AM   #7

Every part of that object is a work of art. The wooden frame is something else again. Id say whatever that was its worth a few bucks now. Looks to be in mint condition. Id like to see a close up of the beading around the outside edge of the wooden frame. I notice in a couple spots on the top where the beeds change color. They are there but not white as the surrounding beads. If you find it I will give you $10 bucks Canadian for it and you pay the shipping. Thats Canadian remember. Its worth more than your yankee buck or it was until recently. :blah:
Old Dec 12, 2007, 9:47 AM   #8

Bynx, you are in luck. Here is a closeup of the frame. I can't tell if the beading is carved into the wood or is glued in place.

Cal

Old Dec 12, 2007, 10:14 AM   #9

Thanks Cal. I see even more carving detail on the bottom edge. Someone sure had a lot of time on their hands and used it nicely. A family keepsake for sure. Oh looking again I also see the nice braiding around the edge of the frame and beading. I could spend an hour just admiring the craftsmanship. Thanks Cal. If we have a thread on works of art be sure to include this.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 9:20 PM   #10

Very beautiful.
flutelady is offline   Reply With Quote