Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Dec 13, 2007, 12:21 PM   #1

This isa detail of my much-loved & decrepit genuine Fair Isle made-to-measure short-sleeved pullover, dating from our stay in the Bird Observatory there in June 1986 with our 15-month-old daughter, now about to qualify as a doctor. It has one or two large holes in it now, and desperately needs darning. It's been worn heavily all winter, every winter in the interim. Fair Isle is a remote Scottish island half-way between Orkney and Shetland. We've been back twice since, most recently in 2005.

The design, by 'Margot' shows, from the top,..

(a) waves washing on the shore, or seagulls and bonxies (Great Skuas);
(b) one of the island's lighthouses;
(c) the ferry 'Good Shepherd IV'as seen in the 'Nautical' biweekly challenge in Aug05 http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=85and...;
(d) a puffin or other auk;
(e) sheaves of (probably) barley.

The hand-knitting (by machine nowadays!) tradition on the island is struggling to survive. It depends on cruise liners that moor offshore, bringing the passengers ashore in Zodiac rib-boats. The resident ladies see them coming, and dive into their cottages,divesting themselvesof jeans &T-shirts, and emerge in long skirts and shawls, converging on the Community Centre to work the spinning wheels, and take orders for their marvellous work.

This innovative tourist-oriented design has now died out, and the island museum was delighted to receive my 2005 picture of my 'Margot's Puffin Pullover' to add to their collection of specimens & photos. I'll post it when I find it.
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2007, 12:24 PM   #2

Here's the proof it's genuine!
Attached Images

Old Dec 13, 2007, 1:24 PM   #3

Darn it all! Don't you just hate it when a favorite article of clothing get a hole in it?

That's a beautiful. I wish I could wear something like that. However, I have two problems preventing it. With my big tummy, pullover sweaters look terrible on me. Second, and more important, the minute I put on a heavy sweater, I start sweating profusely probably because of reason #1!

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2007, 2:17 PM   #4

All our best wood products are made from virgin sheep. Once they get loose in the field they dont qualify for wool donations any more I guess. :blah:
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2007, 2:31 PM   #5

Alan T wrote:
Quote:
...my 2005 picture of my 'Margot's Puffin Pullover' to add to their collection of specimens & photos. I'll post it when I find it.
Here it is. I see it already had a hole or two over two years ago.

Apologies for 2.5 posts in one thread.
Attached Images

Old Dec 13, 2007, 8:06 PM   #6

Alan,

That's quite a sentimental journey. Handknitted wool products have always fascinated ever since I saw my Aunt hand-knitting wool sweaters in cardigan designs. I vene learned a simple stitch or two from her while growing up.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote