Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Dec 22, 2007, 2:17 AM   #1

This is our advent candle, performing a frantic astronaut-style emergency burn on the dining table yesterday (21Dec), running way behind schedule, trying to catch upin time forChristmas Day.

I don't like to leave it burning unattended, to avoid the wrath of Cal the Fire & Safety Marshal. When I do, we tend to forget it and a period of silent coasting in orbit is necessary to avoid it crashing early into Christmas.

The table was laid ready for arrival of daughter for Christmas. The lateness was due in part to the annual struggle to erect the Christmas tree. Some of its fairy lights are seen as a virtual image reflected in the window behind.
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 22, 2007, 6:00 AM   #2

I've never seen an advent candle. Very nice.
yesterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2007, 9:02 AM   #3

I've heard of Advent candles but have never seen one. Do you burn just a portion each day or does it burn continuously during Advent? From your comments, I assum the former. Nice shot.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2007, 12:14 PM   #4

calr wrote:
Quote:
I've heard of Advent candles but have never seen one.
Not being a churchgoer myself, though my family are (you've seen the Methodist Church next door), I had naively assumed that we'd acquired the advent candle custom from you folk in the USA. An old friend of ours gives us one in good time every Christmas, and we use it as an erratic countdown clock. Do you have advent calendars, with a little window to open for each day of December? There was a craze for computerised versions, but it seems to have died out lately.

My wife tells me there is a long-standing church traditionof an array of four candles surrounding a central one, to be lit one at a time during Advent, until the central big one is lit on Christmas Eve. She thinks the candlemay be a mainland European custom. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advent_candle

I like the tradition very much, as I subscribe wholeheartedly to the humanitarian principles of Jesus Christ, which from my naive viewpoint, seem to differ little from those of the prophets of most major religions.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2007, 1:08 PM   #5

Very beautiful photo, the lights in the background create awonderfuleffect.
flutelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2007, 1:19 PM   #6

Alan, there are a number of Advent customs. We currently have a "secret santa" anonymously delivering gifts to our door every evening. They sneak up and put the box in front of the door, ring the bell, and quickly run off to a waiting car. It is interesting that the boxes are a nested set with Christmas scenes on them and a portion of "The Night Before Christmas" on the lid. We think we know who is doing it but not totally sure. It's kinda fun to see what's in the next box. They are neither wrapped nor sealed. So far there's been fruit, candy, bath soap, a book of Christmas stories, etc.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2007, 1:25 PM   #7

Alan,

Nice shot and thanks for the info on Advent

Mugmar
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote