Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jan 2, 2008, 1:16 PM   #1

Robert Falcon Scott contemplates the future of a model of the edge of the Ross Ice Shelf. Both the model and the real thing are suffering from severe nibbling at the moment.
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2008, 6:18 PM   #2

Alan,

The Scott expedition has of course been the subject of much debate over the years and I won't get into that here. I found it personally interesting that the photo seems to portray a man yearning for something but not one ready to tackle the mighty challenge of the Antarctic in the early 1900's.

When I saw the ice looking object in the lower left I thought at first it was a coconut frosted cake. Sorry, Alan not meant to be a criticism. On reading your text further the mystery is unfolded.

I appreciate the effort your placed in gathering these objects to honor one of the heroes of the British Empire. Aloha

selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2008, 11:33 PM   #3

selvin wrote:
Quote:
....effort your placed in gathering these objects to honor one of the heroes of the British Empire.
Thanks, Selvin. Well, actually they gathered themselves. The book was one of my 2006 Christmas presents. It's a good read, but due to one thing & another I'm now only on p.261 of 508.

The cake and the Advent candle were already sitting there together, and being able to foretell the future (somewhat erratically), I thought the picture might come in useful one day.

I prefer my heroes to live to tell the tale, as Sir Ranulph Twisleton-Wykeham-Fiennes, 3rd baronet, the author & explorerhas done several times. But he's now intending to do a Captain Scott...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,2184047,00.html

So the Empire spirit still lives, in the face of the facts. Here's an extract about one of his previous efforts, from that web page...

"Prince Charles, the expedition's patron, announced in a moment of lucidity that the caper had his backing because it was a "mad, and suitably British, enterprise".
Old Jan 3, 2008, 11:52 AM   #4

I guess you have to be British to understand this. No offense intended but I have no idea what this is about. Sorry.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2008, 8:58 PM   #5

Cal,

You're right. Many of the references are to heroes(?) of the British Empire who at the turn of the century focussed their sights on conquering the South Pole because an upstart American named Peary had beaten them to it.

To most others all of this is of little but pedantic interest.

Aloha
Old Jan 4, 2008, 11:55 AM   #6

selvin wrote:
Quote:
...conquering the South Pole because an upstart American named Peary had beaten them to it.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amundsen-Scott_South_Pole_Station;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roald_Amundsen
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Peary;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Scott
Old Jan 4, 2008, 1:06 PM   #7

Im always happy to see your posts Alan, whatever it is because you usually follow it with a good descriptive note and I learn something. However, in this case a book, candle and cake have nothing to do with ice. If it does then I can post a picture of the encyclopaedia because there is a description of ice in it. This is more than outside the box. Its in another crate completely.:?:
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2008, 8:40 AM   #8

Bynx,

In Alan's defense, since I agreed that this submission was okay under the wide open criteria for this one, the shot did not necessarily have to show ice.

In this case the so called "coconut cake" which I alluded to was actually a simulation of the Ross Ice shelf in the South Pole. Submitting Scott's photo is like taking a shot of Einstein's to provide another perspective on the whole Atomic theory of energy and matter.

No explosions no pictures of split atoms etc but it does evoke one perspective.

If the picture had been say of Mik Jagger I would have refused to okay the submission.

Incidentally, at one time it was fashionable to consider Scott an idiot for the attempt to breach the South Pole with what he had. He refused to use dogs rather than ponies believing that ponies would be superior performers on the ice, he took perhaps as much as one-third too little food not realizing that the severe freezing conditions required as much as 8,500 calories per day.

Aloha
Old Jan 5, 2008, 11:05 AM   #9

Oops me bad. I didnt think of the cake as a symbol of the ice shelf. I just saw it as something I wanted to eat. Since I live very vicariously these days could you please give me a 2 paragraph description on how good it was. It does look yummy. Having reread all the posts now it all makes sense. Now when I look at the candle I see the lite. With a smile I say well done Alan.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2008, 12:07 AM   #10

Bynx,

My initial reaction also was a cake..... But I knew Scott's story never mentioned anything about a cake.

Aloha