Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jan 5, 2008, 1:40 PM   #1

Now that the weather's nice & cold, I'll deal with this, Right Soon Now.

How does everyone avoid sparkling white reflected highlight spots? I thought it was the close-to-axis flash at first, but this is by a fluorescent light on the nearby ceiling.
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2008, 6:59 PM   #2

That looks like a freezer that is seriously in need of defrosting! I have one that looks worse than that!

I don't think there is any way you can eliminate the sparkles except possibly the use of a polarizing filter. You have no control over the orientation of the ice crystals. If you have a polarizer, try experimenting with it and see if it helps.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2008, 8:16 PM   #3

Fixing the sparkling white reflections was easy. After visiting your fridge I simply pulled the plug before shooting the same pic. As you see here there are no sparkling white reflections.
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2008, 9:54 PM   #4

Let's see now...would that be an illegal use of the "Salt and Pepper" tool or the "Despeckle" tool in your editor? It couldn't be. Bynx violating the forum guidelines pertaining to post-processing?? No...I must be wrong. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Cal
Old Jan 5, 2008, 11:58 PM   #5

Bynx,

Your fix seems quite effective.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2008, 5:32 AM   #6

Bynx wrote:
Quote:
.....After visiting your fridge I simply pulled the plug before shooting the same pic.
A characteristically fine piece of work, thanks Bynx, and a lovely present for the Christmas/New Year holiday. Especially so, considering the difficulty you musthave had getting down the chimney with (a) pants on fire and (b) fighting a wild boar. Thenyou'dhave found the traditional mince pies & sherry on a plate by the fireside long since eaten due to your late arrival, just in time for Twelfth Night (today).

This is not an entry for the "Ice" challenge.
Attached Images

Old Jan 6, 2008, 5:38 AM   #7

...and then you'd have had difficulty making good your escape up a cliff showing heavy icing.

To be serious, I did attempt several notionally ethical retouching procedures for my ice glints, viz. curves, levels, histogram twiddles and (unethical) colour replacer, but these were all defeated by the fact that the bright pixels are neither as bright nor as white as they look.
Attached Images

Old Jan 6, 2008, 8:32 AM   #8

Fire is no concern to me since I wear fireproof knickers. But I did miss that fine looking cake. Still waiting to hear how good it tasted.
By the way Cal, there is a scientific explanation why Alan has reflection highlights in his picture and I dont. With the fridge plugged in the current causes the ammonia crystals with 3 or more neutrons to accelerate in a counter clockwise rotation thus causing them to stand on end. Only those standing on end are able to reflect the light like a mirror. So by unplugging the fridge from its current there is no rotation and thus no reflection. Its all very technical but thats the gist of it. I would never do anything that crossed the rules of this forum. Trust me.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2008, 10:23 AM   #9

There better not be any ammonia crystals in that frost or Alan has a serious and potentially deadly problem. Any ammonia, if present, should be fully contained in the cooling coils under that frost. Most modern freezers use freon and it better not be in the frost, either, or Alan is destroying the ozone.

This is all getting too technical. I thought we were photographers not HVAC technicians! :lol::lol:

Cal