Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Feb 1, 2008, 12:20 AM   #1

I'vedon't know whether this seminal British film ever made it across the pond. But it launched Berk Dogeared on his movie-acting career, playing the villain.Its successled to a TV series than ran for decades after the death of its eponymous principal character at the hands of the villain in this very film.

Think "police".

Even if you have no idea what I'm talking about, you have an excellent chance of guessing the movie title, just from this photographic subject, and then looking it up on t'internet. Those of you interested in colour balance or textiles may own one of these....

Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2008, 4:40 AM   #2

Alan,

for us folks from the colonies the photo shows a blue lightbulb. For folks from the mother counrty it's a "blue lamp." Hence some potential cultural divide.

Even with the Internet as a tool this was not an easy movie puzzle.

Aloha

selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2008, 5:20 AM   #3

selvin wrote:
Quote:
Even with the Internet as a tool this was not an easy movie puzzle.
But I knew you'd cope, Selvin! Congratulations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blue_Lamp

I felt it might be of cross-cultural interest given Dirk's subsequent better-known career. Last widely seen probably in 'A Bridge Too Far' (1977), popularly known round here as 'An Hour Too Long' which surfaces every month or two.'Death in Venice' (1971) is an acting & directing masterpiece that stands well alongside the novel and the opera, and doesn't come round often enough. The final scene of him dying in a deckchair on a beach to Mahler's music must rate among the best tearjerkers ever. I couldn't think of a single image to portray either of those titles.

Though somebody else might.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 10:37 AM   #4

Blue Light came to mind for me. Nice pictureIs that a camera I see in the reflection?

Mugmar
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2008, 12:28 PM   #5

Mugmar wrote:
Quote:
...Is that a camera I see in the reflection?
It's the illuminating magnifier I used for lighting the blue bulb. Intriguingly the shot also shows two images of the compact fluorescent that's fitted into it.

The blue bulb was until 2 days ago fitted in that very light fitting, and used for various purposes, such as examining wounds & splinters in fingers, and especially close examination of colour prints.Then various plastic bits for the metal screws fixing the heat shield/reflector disintegrated due to old age (like me). Rather than undertake the substantial engineering task of fixing it properly, I put a nice cool fluorescent in.

This left me holding a blue lightbulb in my hand. Aha!