Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Feb 12, 2008, 9:28 PM   #1

The first is an old Druze sabra peddlar. The second is my daughter Niki.
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2008, 9:29 PM   #2

Attached Images

Old Feb 12, 2008, 9:38 PM   #3

I love to see photos like the first one. The mans face shows a hard life and a great deal of character. The second on is really cute. I think I recognize the gentleman in the background!! Good work.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2008, 10:11 PM   #4

I have to relate the story behind the Druze. He was located beside a tourist spot selling sabra. A very interesting character noticed by everyone. But if you tried to take his picture he pointed his knife at you and said NO. I took his picture while standing in front of him. I used a fake right angle lens on my camera. He even watched me with interest taking his picture. The one I posted you can see his eyes are on the others with their cameras.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 10:21 PM   #5

Two questions: 1) What is sabra? 2) What is this fake right-angle lens you are talking about and do I want/need one?

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2008, 11:28 PM   #6

Sabra is the prickly fruit on top of cactus. The pic is two views of the right angle lens. From the front it looks like a normal lens with a fake glass front. from the side there is a hole through which you can see a mirror mounted inside the barrel on a 45 degree angle so the picture you see is at right angles to the direction the lens is pointed. Thats me with the lens attached to my S700 taking my picture by being at right angles to the mirror. It just screws on the front like a filter. Its great for shooting people unawares like kids who freeze up when you point a camera at them. Its also good for shooting anyone so there is a natural expression about them. They even help often by watching what you are doing unawares they are being photographed.
Attached Images

Old Feb 13, 2008, 12:54 AM   #7

Bynx,

I've often wondered about the quality of pics from the right angle lens and you seem to have success with the lens. Thanks for sharing.

His expression is priceless as a candid shot.

The obiglatory shot with Santa. Despite being old hat I think everyone should have one at various stages of the child's life. I consider it almost like a rite of passage.

Aloha

selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2008, 10:39 AM   #8

Bynx,

I love the old Druse, but I must admit I'm a little leery of taking photos of people brandishing knives and saying "No." :G

Really nice shot of your daughter.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2008, 10:48 AM   #9

The old fella was sitting on a bucket cleaning sabra with his knife. He just waved it in protest to his pic being taken. Now one might say we should respect his rights. However, positioning himself looking like he did at a popular tourist spot in hopes of making money from them shouldnt be in a position to say no to a simple picture. Just my opinion and I have the right to be wrong on this. I got my picture and its hung proudly in my house for some time. Id seriously like to return and give him a copy. But Im sure he has passed away by now.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 2:45 PM   #10

Nice photos, and very neat lens.
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote