Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Feb 13, 2008, 6:14 AM   #1

When I shoot basketball, one of my favorite moments to get player expression is while the ball is in the air and players are jockeying for rebounding position. These are a couple of my favorites from the last few weeks.

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 13, 2008, 7:00 AM   #2

Concentration....you got that right. You couldnt get them to pose for that look in their faces. Great catch Paul.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2008, 9:16 AM   #3

Nice shots!!

That first one really captures the moment.

Mugmar
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2008, 9:52 AM   #4

While these are good action close-ups, they don't meet the criteria for "portrait", as defined in Wikipedia:

A portrait is a painting, photograph, sculpture, or other artistic representation of a person, in which the face and its expression is predominant. The intent is to display the likeness, personality, and even the mood of the person. For this reason, in photography a portrait is generally not a snapshot, but a composed image of a person in a still position. A portrait often shows a person looking directly at the painter or photographer, in order to most successfully engage the subject with the viewer.

I would think that this is what Selvin had in mind for his challenge.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2008, 10:18 AM   #5

You have the definition down but anything can really be a portrait in somebodies eyes. Isn't it in the eye of the beholder? Just a question I pose.
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2008, 10:26 AM   #6

The expression on the faces of the players is priceless. Great work.

It doesn't matter what Wikipedia defines as a portrait. Selvin stated clearly in his challenge description what he was looking for. That's what matters.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2008, 10:28 AM   #7

Walter C wrote:
Quote:
A portrait is a painting, photograph, sculpture, or other artistic representation of a person, in which the face and its expression is predominant. The intent is to display the likeness, personality, and even the mood of the person. For this reason, in photography a portrait is generally not a snapshot, but a composed image of a person in a still position. A portrait often shows a person looking directly at the painter or photographer, in order to most successfully engage the subject with the viewer.

I would think that this is what Selvin had in mind for his challenge.
I don't agree with you on this one, Walter. Selvin's challenge was stated using only the first part of the definition, "A portrait is aphotograph of a person, in which the face and its expression is predominant."

The narrower definition would exclude any sort of candid shot with the genuineness of motion therin expressed.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2008, 12:31 PM   #8

Hey, if that's what Selvin wants it's good enough for me. He DID say, however:

This would be an opportunity for us to concentrate our skills on either the technical aspects of trying to photograph a portrait or/and just getting the person in the mood.

If this is a challenge for us to "concentrate our skills" on portrait photography and "getting people in the mood", I would think that we would try for more "posed" shots.

Just my thoughts.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2008, 2:04 PM   #9

Folks,

My explanatory note:

This would be an opportunity for us to concentrate our skills on either the technical aspects of trying to photograph a portrait or/and just getting the person in the mood.

Maybe wasn't as clear as I thought. I purposely avoided restricting us to "posed" portraiture since they would in the eyes of some mean exclusively studio lighting or similar. I was and am quite willing to accept candid shots IN ADDITION to posed shots. Personally, I thought the increased burden of posed portraiture was a good target for phase II of this challenge.

Even in the case of candid or non-posed hots we need to be aware of the technical aspects of what we are doing to increase our chances of getting useable shots.

Walter, while the complete Wikipedia definition is what is normally sought, the vast majority of us do not sit and pose individuals for our "people" shots.I agree we should be headed in that direction. But, in this case I thought we should take an incremental step.

Please bear with me (us) as we adjust our training wheels.

Trojansoc, good shots...

Aloha

selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2008, 7:00 PM   #10

Trojansoc, Good shot....you certainly captured the intensity of the game being played.

Mandy
jeephotog is offline   Reply With Quote