Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Feb 15, 2008, 5:28 AM   #1

One of the annual rites for an athletic team is picture day, when team shots are taken, and the kids are lined up cattle-call style for individual shots, either for purchase or publicity purposes. Most of the time these wind up looking like they were produced by your friendly local police department, hence "mug shots." I did mine on a sunny day a couple of weeks ago, and out of the 50-60 players shot, a couple turned out nicely.

I used the soccer goal as a background without realizing how many other elements were also there that would be distracting, particularly the football goalpost.

It was a good learning experience to shoot this many and be able to see just how subtle a change in a pose from one player to the next could dramatically change the outcome, particularly since a bright sun created real shadowing problems.

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2008, 7:06 AM   #2

Nicely done.
yesterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2008, 12:37 PM   #3

Very well done. Your description echoes something learned in a photography class I took way back and often overlooked. Before you click that shutter, look at the entire frame in the viewfinder paying particular attention to distractions. As you indicated, sometimes a slight change of shooting position can eliminate a host of maladies!

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2008, 3:27 PM   #4

Mugmar
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote