Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Feb 15, 2008, 9:13 PM   #1

My wife of course. This challenge makes me more aware of how difficult it is to try and capture the spirit and personality of an individual, which I sadly am still struggling with.

Attached Images

Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2008, 9:14 PM   #2

I found a neat umbrella at a garage sale (I'm always finding "props"), and sat my wife down for a portrait.

Attached Images

Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2008, 12:14 AM   #3

Walter,

Both shots compliment her very well. I am nore inclined to say the second shot with the umbrella prop is better although I would personally prefer a tad more contrast.

The fist shot using the tree as a framing device works well. My only peeve is that the background should be blurred out later for display purposes and get rid of the bag strap. The cars etc are a slight distraction.

Aloha

selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2008, 3:32 AM   #4

#1 is my favourite by far - I like it for the natural look, the "easy-going" feeling.

I'd accept #2 if she would sit and act more "posed" (as in: just doing a special pose for that shot), for now it looks to me like she threw you her typical "cheese" (come on, I want to take a photo, say "cheese") smile and I don't like those smiles, that a person would never do in his/her normal life. No offense meant, it's a (my) personal thing.

So #1 is more what I am after, you could say I try to "capture a moment" and I like it when people react normally or are unaware to the photographer.

Regards,
Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2008, 7:45 AM   #5

Hello Walter,

I'm glad you shared some photos of your wife Pam. Good to hear you admit the reality that it's often difficult to capture the spirit and personality of someone in a photo (if that's what you mean, as I understand).

I think the first photo is more natural, and imho I prefer it. She looks content and comfortable. However I agree with selvin, that the bag strap and cars are rather distracting. Also the brightness of the background grass / car area (background mid right) is rather over-exposed and I think the (almost) blown highlights are a shame, but yes, you were shooting under challenging lighting conditions.

Such an opinion is subjective, but I just find photo 2 not the same "natural smile / character" as photo 1. So in that sense, I prefer photo 1. (thus I agree with thkn777 on this).

Both though, are appreciated and ways to share both your family and the challenge that we have before us!

edit... btw, I LOVE the tree as a beautiful natural frame. Very very effective!

Thanks

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2008, 10:01 AM   #6

Wonderful job on both photos. I like the first one best because it look so natural.
yesterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2008, 5:59 PM   #7

Personally, I like the second shot more than the first. In the first shot, the bright, overexposed background is very distracting as is the purse straps. The second shot appears posed but it also appears very elegant. I don't think any amount of editing of the first shot will equal the beauty of the seconc shot.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote