Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Feb 16, 2008, 8:28 PM   #1

I'm a recording engineer, and I'm currently working with this talented young lady on a CD of piano music . I just got my first DSLR two months ago, I've been itching to try out some 'strobist' type stuff , so I offered to shoot her picture for free at the end of our first session. I shot a couple stops under the ambient light levels and made up some more interesting light with an SB-600 taped to a mic stand, gelled to tungsten, and with a plastic grocery store bag over it for some diffusion. I'm pretty happy with the results, at least for a first attempt.

I'll try to post some audio later after I get it edited if anyone's interested. It's a later Haydn sonata.

David French is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2008, 9:10 PM   #2

Looks like you nailed the lighting dead on. Some nice shots.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2008, 10:52 PM   #3

I'm glad you liked them Paul! I must be on the right track!
Old Feb 17, 2008, 3:44 AM   #4

Lightning and DOF are good, but I don't really like #1 and #2 because they both say: "don't take a photo!" / "not again..." / "do I have to pose for that... oh dear..." (you know what I mean)

#3 is different - arms are more open and don't shield the body as in #2 and the face looks more natural, she's more at ease to say so.

The scenery and the woman are definitely worth taking pictures of - and technically I think you are on the right way - try to work with your "model", ask her to "play" more with camera, or just ask her to forget about that photo thingie at all and just behave natural and try to shoot that way. Not easy - I know, but worth trying!

Cheers,
Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2008, 2:31 PM   #5

Yes, she's no model, that's for sure. She was excited to do the photos, so the looks aren't those of resentment:-) I tried everything I could to try to get her to loosen up, but she was just too self-conscious. After a while, I did ultimately just tell her to sit around, only taking shots when I saw something I liked; that last shot is a result of that approach.

She sure can play that piano, though!
Old Feb 17, 2008, 3:13 PM   #6

David French wrote:
Quote:
Yes, she's no model, that's for sure. She was excited to do the photos, so the looks aren't those of resentment:-) I tried everything I could to try to get her to loosen up, but she was just too self-conscious. After a while, I did ultimately just tell her to sit around, only taking shots when I saw something I liked; that last shot is a result of that approach.

She sure can play that piano, though!
Ah, I see.

Best way to stop me taking photos: giving me your standard goofy "cheese" look. :?It's always the same with all the people. If there is a camera - they can't behave normally.

Good luck in trying again! And I believe what you said about the piano

thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote