Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Feb 18, 2008, 7:52 AM   #1

This first one is during a break from a formal portrait sitting. She sat as still as little angel during the sitting, so much so that I was getting a 'flat' feeling from her. So, we went outside and danced - I would periodically yell 'freeze' - then quick take her photo... we would both laugh and then dance again. - So, the background is a bit distracting (which I handled in PP for the setting, but am posting the un-edited here.)

Attached Images

lostgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 18, 2008, 7:59 AM   #2

This second one is my niece just before heading out to a school dance. She hates her braces, so I had to trick her into letting them show. (I really dislike tight mouthed smiles that cover up braces.)
Attached Images

Old Feb 18, 2008, 11:48 AM   #3

I really like the first one. The second one, i find what i believe to be her hand on her shoulder to be adistraction. And tell her that if you didn;t mention the braces, i owuld never have noticed them.
vsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2008, 5:42 PM   #4

Unless you blow up that second shot in the editor, you can't see the braces. She has an interesting expression on her face like she just saw an airplane explode or something. The hand is, indeed, distracting.

The first shot is very cute.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2008, 11:03 AM   #5

Sounds like "freeze" works to get her attention an stop action. Very charming girl.

Like Cal noticed her rapt expression seems to be captured by something off stage. That was sufficient enough to subdue her momentary concerns about the braces.

Aloha and thanks for sharing.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2008, 12:35 PM   #6

Thanks for the feedback.

The 'Freeze' was indeed helpful, Selvin- stopped the action and made her laugh - both good things. When shooting portraits of kids, I often incorporate some simple creative drama games. I have a number that I use that involve movement and freezes that have helped me greatly with children who have a hard time either sitting still or being expressive.

I have enjoyed people's choices of portraits for this challenge.

lostgirl

Old Feb 19, 2008, 5:16 PM   #7

#1 is a cutie I increased that "sunny/chocolate" brown feeling a bit. Such a nice smile - and: I like your approach to take that photo. I hate the "cheese" look on peoples face and that was a nice idea to get a natural smile/gesture from her. DOF is good, too.

#2 - I noticed the braces, but only because my daughter and some of her friends have some too, so that doesn't really count. Again (as with #1) the colors look a tad too "flat" and it feels as if there was some kind of dust in the picture. Skin tones are great and the pose is ... well lets just say she won't allow you to show this around in public (I bet). It still looks a bit artificial but overall a nice portrait.

Th.

thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2008, 7:56 PM   #8

thkn777 wrote:
Quote:
... well lets just say she won't allow you to show this around in public (I bet). ...
Whyever not? It could be a shot of a movie star off a poster. Beautiful!
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote