Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Feb 24, 2008, 1:35 AM   #1

This is my first time participating in the shootout. Portraits aren't my strong suit but I thought I'd give it a go as the weather is horrible. This is the wife shot by window light and a little fill flash.
Attached Images

goomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2008, 1:36 AM   #2

original
Attached Images

Old Feb 24, 2008, 4:32 AM   #3

Am in a hurry, just a short note - original is much better composition-wise than the crop to my mind!

thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2008, 6:49 AM   #4

I too prefer the original shot. The close up crop shows the flaws in your focusing. But you have such a beautiful subject, it hardly matters much. Lucky guy.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2008, 10:10 AM   #5

Bynx wrote:
Quote:
I too prefer the original shot. The close up crop shows the flaws in your focusing. But you have such a beautiful subject, it hardly matters much. Lucky guy.

Hello Bynx,
DOF is fine to my mind, I am somewhat puzzled by the blurry look of the eyes... no idea where this comes from. If you inspect the photo you'll notice, that the right eye has quite sharp eyelashes, also you can find very detailed hair (left ear) which appears to be sharp and within DOF range. And the earring! Sharp as can be! On the other hand the tip of her nose and her mouth seem to be in DOF range too. So why the left eye looks blurry? I am clueless.

A guess - maybe we see strong JPEG compression/artifacts? Or maybe we see the slightest eye movement here?

@goomer
Can you post a high quality JPEG please? 100% or at least better than 95%? Also it would be nice if you could post the camera settings for that shot.

A very strong sharpen/refocus attempt gave me this:

Now this looks artificial, I know... but it was only to demonstrate that both eyes SHOULD be within DOF... so the question still stands why we see that softness/fuzzyness.

Any ideas?

:?

P.S. Did I say that I like the original shot? I'd wish for a slightly different background because her white blouse almosts blends into that background, but the simplicity of that photo is really great. Maybe with some postprocessing one could fake a highkey shot here lot's of potential, really.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 4:16 PM   #6

thkn, its not so much the eyes but other parts of the photo which seem to go in and out of focus. The front hairline is out of focus but the back is fine. The left lower side of the hair is out of focus but right above it is fine. Too many inconsistencies that catch my eye. Almost like you had a funny lens with various out of focus spots on it. If the depth of field was from the tip of her nose to the middle of her ears all else would fall into place. Just my opinion and I have the right to be totally wrong.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2008, 4:43 PM   #7

Thanks for the comments guys, very helpful. I think I know why the issues with sharpness. I'm betting it's the Portraiture plugin I use to soften the skin...it has a tendency to soften many elements of the photo in addition to the skin. I know the plugin has a lot of tweakability...but I'm just too damn lazy :-) . I know I can do it manually in CS3 , but again the lazy thing gets in the way..hehe....and my wife won't let me post anything unless I do the skin thing
Old Feb 24, 2008, 5:12 PM   #8

@Bynx
Yes, that's what I was thinking too - the image just didn't behave like a "normal" photo should! I had problems to put that into words, though. Sometimes it's hard if you are not a native speaker, you know :roll::sad:

@goomer
Ah - yes, that might be the reason! Still I think you should give us the original, I can't imagine that your wifes skin looks so terrible! And you should really try to get that plugin to just do it's job and not mess up your photos - what does your wife say when it softens her skin but in the same moment steals away the magic of her eyes?

Regards,
Th.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 12:43 AM   #9

Goomer

Needless to say both efforts are wonderful. Personally I'd go with the original but that's highly personal. Your focussing woes have been analysed meticulously and I believe your theory about the behaviour of the software is correct.

After all is said and done, kudos to you and your wife.

Aloha

selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2008, 8:18 PM   #10

I like the original as it is. Very beautiful. The Photo and the Wife!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote