Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 2, 2008, 12:05 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Bynx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8,584
Default

I checked my EXIF data on previous Cafe Foam and found errors. Using the same pot of coffee as last nite I tried again.
Attached Images
 
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2008, 12:05 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Bynx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8,584
Default

.
Attached Images
 
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2008, 12:12 AM   #3
Moderator
 
calr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 8,466
Default

Outstanding! Those are beautiful and sharp. What did you do wrong the first time?

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2008, 7:35 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Bynx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8,584
Default

I was switching back and forth between using built-in flash and without and using aperure of f13.6 and shutter speed of 1/1000. Without the flash I quickly moved my aperture for a faster shutter speed. I didnt use smallest aperture because the bubbles were moving too much. This time I made my aperture size the priority consideration. This is such an easy setup. A glass with a light behind it and some coffee to pour in it. The foam that is created breaks up quickly until there is a shooting window for optimum colors and shapes. I just love the colours and shapes I got. Its easy to repeat and pretty consistent. I recommend this for anyone who wants to try something a little different. The pics are full frame without any cropping.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2008, 10:55 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
thkn777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,831
Default

Bynx wrote:
Quote:
I was switching back and forth between using built-in flash and without and using aperure of f13.6 and shutter speed of 1/1000. Without the flash I quickly moved my aperture for a faster shutter speed. I didnt use smallest aperture because the bubbles were moving too much. This time I made my aperture size the priority consideration. This is such an easy setup. A glass with a light behind it and some coffee to pour in it. The foam that is created breaks up quickly until there is a shooting window for optimum colors and shapes. I just love the colours and shapes I got. Its easy to repeat and pretty consistent. I recommend this for anyone who wants to try something a little different. The pics are full frame without any cropping.
The idea is really nice and the results look impressive. My problem is - my coffee doesn't look like this. I can't look through a glass with coffee because it's all black :roll:.

Maybe I could try to reproduce this with tea, which has about that color.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2008, 11:52 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Bynx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8,584
Default

With a lite behind the glass you are looking throught the top of the coffee edge at about 45 degrees. So the coffee is light at the top and gets darker as it gets deeper. If your coffee is still too dark just use less coffee and more water until you get the color you want.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2008, 12:17 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
thkn777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,831
Default

Bynx wrote:
Quote:
With a lite behind the glass you are looking throught the top of the coffee edge at about 45 degrees. So the coffee is light at the top and gets darker as it gets deeper. If your coffee is still too dark just use less coffee and more water until you get the color you want.
Yes... but who really wants to drink that stuff with that much water in it? :?Not me - that's for sure!
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2008, 12:21 PM   #8
Moderator
 
calr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 8,466
Default

thkn777 wrote:
Quote:
Yes... but who really wants to drink that stuff with that much water in it?
In this case, the coffee is not for drinking. It is a photographic prop. I think you could sacrifice one cup of coffee for the cause??

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2008, 6:49 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,817
Default

Fantastic photos.
flutelady is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 2:39 AM.