Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Mar 4, 2008, 11:07 PM   #1

At the end of my summer holiday I walked down Ness Glen, the natural gorge below L.Doon hydroelectric reservoir in Ayrshire, SW Scotland. The flow in the gorge is controlled by the dam, and can be varied to provide exciting watersports events. I was nervous as I walked alone in the dusk down this Rather Tiny Canyon close to water level, with big automatic sluice gates just upstream.

Inspired by several posts a few months ago in 'Landscape Photos' here, I tried out 'fuzzy water' with these two shots. This is ISO1600, 1/406s, f/3.2, to try for stopped motion in the dusk & heavy shade...
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2008, 11:12 PM   #2

... and this, 18s later, is ISO64, 1/3s, f/8, hand-held, for the smoothing effect, from the same spot, as shown by the strategically placed (actually accidental) twig at bottom right. Far from ideal lighting, but they'll do for me.

Attached Images

Old Mar 5, 2008, 3:19 PM   #3

I like the first one although it's a bit dark. The second shot is an example where fuzzy water doesn't work very well. The water is moving too many different directions. I find the same problem when I try shooting waves breaking on the beach.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2008, 4:51 AM   #4

calr wrote:
Quote:
....example where fuzzy water doesn't work very well. The water is moving too many different directions...
I have no idea what you mean Cal. It's exactly what I was aiming for.

The pair are different views of the same place, seen through two timescale windows. The ratio of the two timescaleshere is short, for water flow, (127x, ratio of 2[suP]4[/suP]). Earlierwe discussed the seconds to millennia ratio as in glassblowing vs. the cooled glasswork. (3 x 10[suP]13[/suP]seconds in a millennium).

There's one predominant direction, downhill, from right to left, which is obvious in the slower shot, as shown bythe standing wave (a small 'stopper') trying to go back uphill, but going round in vertical plane circles for a while. This gives an impression of flowing uphill, as one can see here and there on the surface of any fast river.

Please could you show me an example of what you meant by 'fuzzy water', earlier? I thought it was smeared out waterfalls and just thiskind of thing. You actually asked someone to try it out at two speeds.

These attempts were inspired by a very beautiful series of fuzzy waterfalls that appeared in 'Landscape Photos' round herelast year sometime.I'll post a link later if I can find them.

Old Mar 6, 2008, 4:58 AM   #5

calr wrote:
Quote:
I like the first one although it's a bit dark....
Do you prefer this curve-twiddled one? I presume the curious colour of the water is an artefact of ISO1600 on my small-sensor Kodak Z712.

Or maybe the auto white balance, which has done a grand job on the white water, had to add lots of magenta because of green light coming through the foliage.
Attached Images

Old Mar 6, 2008, 6:36 PM   #6

Alan, on your fuzzy water shot, I see that your exposure was 1/3 second. In my opinion, that makes the water too blurred. Perhaps 1/4 th second might have made it sharper while still giving the fuzzy appearance.

There have been a couple of nice smooth fuzzy water shots posted for this challenge that show what I like to see, a smooth flow of water all in the same general direction. I mentioned that I have tried to shoot breaking waves on the rocks on the beach and was very disappointed with the results. The reason was that the water was going every which way and the resulting shot was very jumbled and confusing.

This shot might look better using a slow shutter if you were farther away so that more of the river/stream shows.

These are my opinions based on personal experience. Others may disagree. If you got what you wanted in this shot, that's the important thing.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2008, 3:35 AM   #7

Alan,

I hear a buzzing around here asI type on my keyboard. I hope it's the same bee that was bothering you.

I am not a fan of fuzzy, cottony water effects but many other individuals are lavish in their praise of this perspective. When comparing both your submittals hereI was actually more drawn to the fuzzy water effect of the second than the stop motion in the first shot.

I can understand your timescale comparisons but remember that the viewer frequently only brings his/herbiases as they view your shot(s).

I am constantly reminded of what photography is all about by comments that emerge from tribal members that have had limited contact with modern society. Onseeing photos for the first time, they really don't see the faces, the geometric shapes, the animals etc. they initially only see shadows.

The photos are what we make of them.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote