Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Mar 22, 2008, 6:45 AM   #1

We've had some glorious skies here during this 'challenge', but we've often had seriously high winds, presumablyextreme at high altitudes, so the 'cloud shot of a lifetime' (well, a fortnight)has often eluded me in the seconds taken to get the camera out, or the minutes to stop safely when driving.

I have therefore been frustrated frequently. I understand at my lowly level how the world's great artists felt when trying to get it just right in their rather greater and less ephemeral masterpieces.

Selvin mused the other day over the artist cleaning his brush to produce to my 'windblown'cirrus shots. I hypothesise that 'van Gogh in the sky', painting the sky with daffodils in the foreground,started again, got frustrated even more, and did what my small children used to do when unsatisfied with their artwork, that is cross it out with violent strokes, almost obliterating the rather nice clouds here and there...
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2008, 6:54 AM   #2

...but then, turning his head a little, he had a blinding revelation, an inspiration! And toddled off indoors to paint some nice sunflowers in a pot instead.
Attached Images

Old Mar 22, 2008, 7:53 AM   #3

Hi Alan

well you've written a lovely piece of literature about your experiences during this challenge. thanks for sharing that (in the first place!)

I can understand your frustration at trying to get the timing right, with such a narrow window of opportunity with the windy weather you've had there in the UK.

The photos.... Well photo 1 is lovely, though where did you capture so many criss-crosses of planes (near Heathrow!)?

2nd photo is a great idea, and I like the idea and bend in that contrail too. The half hidden van adds interest too. (just the flare is somewhat distracting).

Thanks for sharing these 2 photos.... best wishes

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2008, 9:55 AM   #4

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
....where did you capture so many criss-crosses of planes (near Heathrow!)?
Thanks for your comments, Paul. On a nice clear day, this sort of sky is quite normal in many parts of the UK. We're a small, crowded island with a lot too much air traffic. Those trails are to the SW over northern Shropshire andeastern mid-Wales, both with rather low population density, about 100 miles from each of London & Manchester. I found a little map of air traffic corridors, and that areaisn't in any of them.

Quote:
...just the flare is somewhat distracting..
Yes. That's why I had to make up the story!
Old Mar 22, 2008, 12:33 PM   #5

Good and fun stuff Alan. I kinda like the flare, it's definately eye catching then one radiate out to the view from there, to the trails.....to the van!!!! Now that bothers me more but what can ya do??!
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2008, 4:19 PM   #6

Alan, I'm not sure if you saw my response to Bill Guenther's posting, yesterday regarding the use of contrail to discreetly disperse chemicals into the atmosphere.

Your first photo makes one really wonder if the fuel in those planes really is spiked with a chemical that inertly passes through the jet engine to be dispersed into the contrail. There have been reports that this is actually taking place in some parts of the world. The purpose is unknown but is speculated to be weather related or global warming related.

Your second photo makes it look like one of those jet jockeys fell asleep and accidently switched off the autopilot!!

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2008, 12:13 PM   #7

Amazing how you captured the full sun like that and have the other parts of the image "intact".
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2008, 1:11 PM   #8

thkn777 wrote:
Quote:
...captured the full sun like that and have the other parts of the image "intact".
It waseasy with the nearly WYSIWG 'live preview' in the electronic viewfinder on my Kodak Z712. I could just twiddle the EV or aperture or shutter speed until therewas just detail still showing in the foreground. (Quickly,to avoid possible sensor damage - adjust, point, half-press to check, shoot). I set exposure this way in almost every shot nowadays, but not usually in such a hurry.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 6:06 AM   #9

Alan T wrote:
Quote:
pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
....where did you capture so many criss-crosses of planes (near Heathrow!)?
Thanks for your comments, Paul. On a nice clear day, this sort of sky is quite normal in many parts of the UK. We're a small, crowded island with a lot too much air traffic. Those trails are to the SW over northern Shropshire andeastern mid-Wales, both with rather low population density, about 100 miles from each of London & Manchester. I found a little map of air traffic corridors, and that areaisn't in any of them.

Quote:
...just the flare is somewhat distracting..
Yes. That's why I had to make up the story!
Thank you for your explanation and answers, Alan.

As I lived in the UK for 6 years - based in central London, I know what you mean that the UK is a small crowded island! Here in Australia it's pretty much the opposite (a huge island / continent with only about 20 million people, i.e. 2 "Londons"!).

I just never noticed that many "criss-crossed" contrails from planes...! Perhaps I didn't look "up" enough when I was in countryside UK!! :? Or maybe when I was out of London I was often visitng too remote places like Isle of Lewis, Cornwell, etc.

Cheers

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2008, 6:49 AM   #10

I like them both, Alan. Wonderful!
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote