Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Mar 23, 2008, 7:28 PM   #1

Great looking clouds today for our Sunday walk. I used the channel mixer to convert this to b/w.

Bob

Last edited by bhammitt; May 9, 2009 at 6:52 AM.
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2008, 7:28 PM   #2

color version.

Last edited by bhammitt; May 9, 2009 at 6:52 AM.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 7:53 PM   #3

Hi bob!

Great photo... and yes, it looks very much like "your countryside" from what I've come to think of your geographical area.

This is one of those VERY few photos that I just can't decide which I prefer... black and white or colour. Usually I prefer colour over b&w, except for ones which have a "timeless" feel or where the composition imho is so strong and great that b&w brings out the thoughts of the composition moreso.

But in this photo... both have their special qualities. Clouds have lovely texture in both b&w and colour... and you exposed it spot on!

One (of the smallest of questions/ point)... the photo seems a tad soft... did you think that, or is it a result of resizing? The cut stalks in the field and the telegraph poles / wires don't quite seem as crisp as maybe could be.

Thanks for sharing.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2008, 8:11 PM   #4

I fully agree with PJ about the difference between B&W and Color. The B&W version makes me think it was taken in the 40s. The color version anytime after the 60s. I think the B&W is a bit more dramatic and makes me think of movies like Gone With the Wind or Wizard of Oz where Clouds were used well in the movies. The color version seems a bit too bright a day for anything dangerous to happen. But as always both nice shots Bob.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2008, 8:47 PM   #5

Beautiful photos.
flutelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2008, 9:23 PM   #6

Talk about a photo triggering memories. This photo (BW or esp. Color) brings back vivid memories of my childhood living on a farm about 20 miles northeast of Aberdeen, South Dakota. We lived about a mile from a little town of Putney. There was a grain elevator very similar to this one. The surrounding area looks exactly like Putney township.

I like both photos. I think the BW is a better photo from an artistic point of view but the color is what really triggered my memories.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2008, 3:26 AM   #7

Beautiful photos............musket.
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2008, 4:43 AM   #8

Thank you everyone, I have passed this place everyday on my way to work for several years. I would love to get a photo in the early morning with a Norfolk Southern locomotive next to this old place. I've seen a few but never the right conditions. Paul, I did some slight noise reduction on this photo which probably accounts for the softness you see. Cal, I'm glad this brought back some old memories, I wish everyone could experiance life in this setting for a time. Thanks again for all your comments!

Bob