Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Mar 29, 2008, 7:39 AM   #1

This is a picture of my great-great grandparents (Benjamin Franklin & Mary Medora Smith) farm in Hope Valley, Rhode Island that was taken around 1895. This picture is actually a picture taken of the glass negative held up to a light. My g-g-grandfather is standing to the left. The wagon on the right was my great grandfather's (George Frank Smith) meat wagon. He made his living selling meat door to door. The others in the picture are the children and grandchildren of Ben & Mary.
Attached Images

yesterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2008, 7:41 AM   #2

This picture was taken around 2001 of the same house. Sadly the place has fallen into disrepair. One of my g-g-grandparents descendants still lives in the house and is renovating it.
Attached Images

Old Mar 29, 2008, 7:45 AM   #3

I know I should only post 2 photos but I just wanted to include a picture of the glass negative. It was found in the house above and is in the possession of my cousin whonow owns the house.
Attached Images

Old Mar 29, 2008, 8:10 AM   #4

Glad to see the old house is getting the much needed renovation. It looks like a beautiful old home with some real possibilities.

I'm glad you posted the old glass negative. It's amazing it's held up that well over so many years. Very interesting set.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2008, 8:21 AM   #5

This is very cool yesterday! It is facinating to see how things change in time!!

Bob
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2008, 9:27 AM   #6

Great job. It would have been interesting to get a shot from the same angle as the original. That would really show a comparison.

The glass negative is a real bonus. I hope you have a safe container to store it in.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2008, 3:26 PM   #7

yesterday wrote:
Quote:
I know I should only post 2 photos but I just wanted to include a picture of the glass negative.
No problem - remove the first photo! :blah:This glass plate shot is great! And I agree with Calr here - a shot from the same angle would have been nice.

It's sad to see how things fall to dust over time. I like old building as they mostly give that special "you're at home" feeling no super-modern flat will ever have.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2008, 12:17 AM   #8

Despite the years the "Old" house has held up very well. I built a house in Hilo about a dozen years ago and the termites have had lunch and are now sitting down to dinner. If I'm lucky they may leave us something for dessert.

Thanks for sharing, The piece on the glass negative is wonderful.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2008, 5:57 AM   #9

Thank you all for you replies. I agree a shot from the same angle would have been more effective but that side of the house is all overgrown with shrubs and trees. It's been several years since I last visited. Perhaps the repairs have progressed enough so that they may have cleared the brush. I should visit again sometime.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 7:26 PM   #10

Fantastic photo, very cool.
flutelady is offline   Reply With Quote