Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Mar 30, 2008, 10:52 AM   #1

Here are two of William Henry Fox Talbot's early cameras or 'light boxes' as he called them. It's actually a 'camera obscura', projecting an image on a ground glass screen, knocked together by his estate's carpenter. The same chap built his first cameras to take light-sensitive materials, using essentially the same construction, but possibly without the mirror.

Apologies for poor quality, but I didn't expect to be showing the shotto real photographers!
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2008, 10:56 AM   #2

...and here, in a hurry, is a quick 'now' shot taken a few minutes ago (1/2s, f/2.8 ) . I'll say the long exposure is in homage to Fox Talbot, who presumably took at least large fractions of an hour.

Please mentally subsitute your own superior (but heavier & more expensive)equipment.
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2008, 12:05 AM   #3

Alan,

No need for apologies. I dabbled in pinhole cameras and similar ilk in the halcyon days of of my youth..... It's not the quality of the image from back then but the effort and pridein creation.

Very interesting compare and contrast. When Kodak first marketed their Brownie camera is was box shaped and I am not too sure but was it a wooden box?

Thanks for sharing.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote