Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Apr 1, 2008, 3:26 PM   #1

This is one of the older buildings in downtown Beaverton, Oregon. It was built in 1914 and is still very much in use today. In the 17 years I have lived here, there have been a lot of different tenants.

The "then" photo comes from the City of Beaverton website historic photo page. There is a statement on the web page state that, as far as the city knows, there are no copyright issues with the photos posted there.

The "now" photo was taken about two hours ago with my Nikon D100 and Sigma 28-70mm lens. I took seven photos of the building today and dummy me cut the right end of the building in every one of them!

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 1, 2008, 7:12 PM   #2

Cal,

Getting the whole building in isn't as easy as it seems since our lens aren't usually wide enough. That's probably one of the reasons for the invention of stitching.

Aloha and thanks for sharing.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2008, 8:41 AM   #3

Cal,

Photographs taken in the United States before 1923 are in the public domain. Photographs taken between 1923 and 1963 are in the public domain unless the copyrighthasbeenrenewed.

Also:

Section 107 of the U.S. Copyright law contains a list of the various purposes for which the reproduction of a particular work may be considered "fair," such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research.

http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#107

I believe that your use here would qualify as "criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research"

bill.guenthner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2008, 4:46 PM   #4

So, Bill, I guess you're saying it's OK??

I just realized yesterday that I have no idea what is on the seconc floor of the building or in the store fronts on the left end. I think it is my duty to go find out!

Cal

Old Apr 2, 2008, 6:57 PM   #5

Very nice Cal! I sometimes wish I could have lived back in the times our then photos are from!

Bob
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2008, 8:42 AM   #6

calr wrote:
Quote:
So, Bill, I guess you're saying it's OK??

I just realized yesterday that I have no idea what is on the seconc floor of the building or in the store fronts on the left end. I think it is my duty to go find out!

Cal
Yes Sir.

As to the upper floors of these oldstore buildings. I can't speak to Beaverton, OR, but in Louisville many of them where the living quarters of the proprietors. Today some of those are apartments, some are offices and many are vacant.
bill.guenthner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2008, 2:01 PM   #7

Very nice shot Cal. You did a great job getting the same angle as the before shot (you did not take that one did you???). I'm glad to see the electric poles have been removed. Around here, it is almost impossible to take a shot downtown without getting power lines in them.

Keep us posted as to the mystery of the second floor:shock:

Mugmar
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2008, 4:25 PM   #8

Mugmar wrote:
Quote:
Keep us posted as to the mystery of the second floor
Apartments!