Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old May 5, 2008, 2:04 PM   #1

I found these at the side of a small canal - I bet these are/were used to tie up boats/ships, but I am no expert to say exactly.

#2 - the whole thing

Maybe I am stretching things a bit, but it is outside, round, man-made and included in the picture of that block of concrete... :blah:so it's at least worth a try!

Regards,
Th.

thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 5, 2008, 2:22 PM   #2

OK, you have two photos of some rusty old rings attached to a concrete structure. If the ring is your aperture, the only possible subject is the concrete behind it. Now let me ask, if the ring was not there, would you photograph the concrete? Think about it.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2008, 3:57 PM   #3

calr wrote:
Quote:
...Now let me ask, if the ring was not there, would you photograph the concrete?...
Yes, in the case of #1, but I'd be closer so that the ring filled the frame, on the grounds of the fascinating texture of the bits embedded in the matrix, which must have a geological story to tell.

Alternatively, the photographer's (or someone else's) foot has a story to tell too in a somewhat surreal abstract image.

This is a somewhat contrived challenge, Cal, so you must expect some imaginative surprises! Everyone's outside looking for a curvedaperture, and when they've found one, they won't betoo bothered what's inside it.

Suggestion!...

Why don't you leave this 'challenge' running concurrently for a while with the nextand subsequent ones, so that when people find something that really will turn you on, they could post it? Doing that will exercise many clever minds and my own increasingly feeble one for a long time. It's a good challenge, but it ain't half hard. I was astonished I got what I did, and neither of my efforts were technically correct.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2008, 1:21 PM   #4

@Alan T
Thanks! You saved me

@calr
I know that concrete isn't such an interesting subject, but you didn't asked for that in the challenge. I don't really want to dive deeper here... a part of what Alan said is true - I wasn't really looking for small mineralic things but I liked the color and contrast of the whole thing, the pictures can't transport this for some reason :?

Anyway - I think my main problem is, that I was looking for something ROUND. Did i got this right now - only exact SQUARE or RECTANGLE apertures are excluded, but everything else is allowed?
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2008, 2:22 PM   #5

Wnat the challenge is looking for is the view of an outdoor scene seen through some kind of round hole or aperture. Several people have posted photos of round apertures with the subject immediately behind the aperture (e.g. in contact with it). Your photo is in this category.

For the challenge, the main subject of the photo is the scene beyond the aperture, not the aperture, itself. The aperture should show but not be the "star of the show!"

I have extended this challenge for another four weeks since people are just starting to get the idea. Selvin will be posting a new challenge today or tomorrow and it will run in parallel with the "Needle" challenge. In two weeks, vsch1 will post another challenge. At the end of Vanessa's challenge, the "needle" challenge will end. I have posted an addendum to the challenge description describing this.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 9:43 PM   #6

Thanks for the extension, Cal. This is a friendlier act than you knew, as I had rather dramatic orthopaedic surgery yesterday, rendering me temporarily not very mobile, for about a week.

I have at least one shot in mind which might or might not turn out well. It's just outside the back door, and will take a little time. so you've given me a useful objective!
Old May 9, 2008, 4:57 AM   #7

As I review recent posts, thkn77, it occurs to me that...

...if your canal quay is not too far away,
and...
...if weather permits,
and...
...if you don't mind getting down and dirty...

...there might be some interesting shots to be had through the 'staple' holding down the mooring ring,especially if that pleasant lighting recurs.

Hope you don't mind the comment!