Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old May 8, 2008, 6:24 AM   #1

Compared to Old Glory our flag (born in 1967) is just a baby. Here its flying at Toronto City Hall.
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 8, 2008, 6:27 AM   #2

Again its flying high, along with the Provincial flag on the left and our Town of Ajax flag on the right.
Attached Images

Old May 8, 2008, 9:57 AM   #3

I really had to hunt to find the flag in the first photo but I finally found it in the lower left corner. In my opinion, that is a great shot of the building(s) but a very poor shot of the Canadian flag.

I like the second shot. It reminds me of the mast on a ship.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2008, 11:52 AM   #4

I think the idea is to show the flag and not necessarily emphasize it, otherwise its going to get boring showing a lot of pics of waving material. The second photo is supposed to represent a mast since the town was named after the HMS Ajax. A lot of streets are named after those who served on the ship during the second world war. The town was created to make ammunition to supply the war machine. We also claim fame to having Camp X. It was a training camp for spies. I believe Ian Fleming had some connection there. Now we are just a boring little town where Bynx lives.
Old May 8, 2008, 11:07 PM   #5

Bynx,

I was a bit surprised that the Canadian flag was inaugurated in the mid-sixties. I somehow thought the Canadian Maple leaf was always there.

You are correct in assuming I wanted some variability in the display of the flag but like Cal, I had to hunt for it. Bynx, remember our old eyes don't focus as well as the young whippersnappers.

You are also correct, the combination is quite imposing. Reminds me somewhat of the United Nations Building.

Aloha

selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2008, 11:42 PM   #6

Selvin, our first flag was just the Union Jack.....the British flag.....until Confederation in 1967. Not everyone was pleased with the flag. The other choice was to have blue bars on each end to represent coast to coast with the red maple leaf in the middle, thus keeping the red, white and blue theme. However, I guess wisely they decided to keep it just red and white. It saved a heap of money when printing it on all the stuff you find flags on. Now if only we could get the queen's mug off our money and give some worthy deceased Canadians their token recognition.
Old May 9, 2008, 1:39 AM   #7

Bynx,

I agree, get the queen's mug off and put Gretzky's on even if he's still alive. The Queen ain't dead but she's on. I bet there would be a surge in the acquisition of Canadian notes.

I've got to get me to Vancouver shortly before too many tourists spoil it.

Aloha

selvin is offline   Reply With Quote