Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old May 22, 2008, 2:06 PM   #1

calr wrote:
Quote:
Nicely done, Alan.... why don't you try not fighting them...incorporate them into your shot...
This can be arranged, Cal, without going too far. It's not just across the road like the others, but the industrial surroundings of Deeside, NE Wales are sufficiently imposingto make the scene themselves, rather than intrude in the scenery. The Flint Bridge, known locally as the 'Welsh Harp', is actually visible, about15 miles away, from 200yds down the road.
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2008, 2:12 PM   #2

The four funnels, which I call 'The Titanic', belong to Deeside natural gas-fired power station, built, mothballed and reopened in the last 2 decades or so.
Attached Images

Old May 27, 2008, 5:46 AM   #3

Sorry Alan. I should have posted my reply here instead of on my own picture.
I've been away for a 4 day weekend and haven't had time to check the forum. I just got back today.

I love the first photo (Strength and Power). We have a bridge in Boston with similar lines. I take a lot of bridge pictures but unfortunately most of them are from a moving car and aren't all I would like them to be..Your second photo is interesting and certainly meets the linear challenge.

Someday I'd like to get to visit your beautiful country. So much history there.
yesterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008, 4:25 PM   #4

Very intriguing!
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008, 5:21 PM   #5

I like both of these shots, Alan, for different reasons. The first reminds me of a bridge I want very much to visit and photograph. It is called the Sundial Bridge and is located in either Red Bluff or Redding (don't recall which) in northern California. Photos of the bridge have been posted here. There is also a similar structure in Vancouver, British Columbia.

In spite or the power lines, this is a photo of a marvelous structure. I love the geometry of the bridge and the lines. I can understand why some people would not like this structure since it is quite austere and probably does not fit with the surrounding scenery. On the other hand, it is a marvel of engineering and art.

I like the second shot for many reasons. There is a lot going on in the image. The canal, the fence, the pipeline, the line of trees, the towers of the power plant, and the electrical power lines all contribute to tell a story of modern technology side-by-side with older methods. In addition, it is a beautiful scene.

Thanks for posting.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008, 8:49 PM   #6

Very cool and interesting photos.
flutelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2008, 4:04 AM   #7

I've movedsome moreto a new thread...