Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old May 28, 2008, 4:34 AM   #1

Thanks, folks, for comments to Part 1.

Here's another from the same day, with the addition of some very strong but faintly visible lines of a different sort, plus the graceful curve of the bridge deck

Also, arguably, a metaphorical line of inheritance, genetic and educational, of useful survival skills.
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2008, 5:04 AM   #2

Here is the addition of the skyline fence to my distant view of the same location, taken in March from our flat roof across the bottom of the 'New shoots' field, just as ploughing began. I take many images past that fence. Sometimes it adds to, and sometimes it detracts from the composition.

I just remeasured the distance to the bridge. It's 25.5km, 15.8 miles away, and this is only slightly cropped from a 432mm equiv. shot on my pathetic little cheap superzoom sensor. The crop was to remove a power line across the bottom, Cal!

Stretching terminology a long way, to the rightof the bridge the buildings form yet another sort of line. It's Shotton Steelworks, now Indian-owned, http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/news/archives/2007/01/31/corus_steelworkers_wave_tata_to_job_security.html,
a very large coated steelstrip mill. Huge rolls of steel strip go in at one end, and come out at the other end coated with tin, and other things.
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2008, 9:44 AM   #3

A father and son fishing--a classic shot. However, I don't think I've ever seen a photographic tripod used to support a fishing rod!! Because of the bright sky and the light color of the bridge support cables, they don't show up too well. I would be interested in seeing that same view on a clear day in bright sunshine.

I am having trouble with the second shot. The focus is a bit soft and the subject is far enough away to make it difficult to see any details. I think it would be better to move in closer (if possible) or zoom in more (if you have the lens for it).

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote