Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old May 30, 2008, 12:13 AM   #1

Here is a picture of the interior of the covered bridge in my other post. Plenty of lines to go around here, I think.

Steve

Last edited by smac; Jan 30, 2014 at 12:05 PM.
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 30, 2008, 7:00 AM   #2

That's a lot of lines.
yesterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2008, 9:19 AM   #3

Lines? What lines? I don't see any lines! :blah::blah: Actually, I don't see anything but lines. Great shot though tilted just a bit.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2008, 10:09 AM   #4

Wouldn't want to have that lumber bill today. Nice shot, Steve.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2008, 10:53 AM   #5

Does anyone know why there are covered bridges as opposed to just a regular bridge?

Thats a great nostalic shot smac. A keeper for sure. They dont build 'em like that too much any more. I bet they are the last of their kind.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2008, 11:13 AM   #6

Bynx, bridges were covered to protect the structural trusses from the weather. If left exposed, the wood timbers would deteriorate in just a few years requiring the bridge to be completely rebuilt. With the cover, bridges will last 50 years or more.

Another interesting fact relating to covered bridges--not all bridges with roofs over them are covered bridges. If the timbers of the support trusses are completely enclosed, it is a covered bridge. If the bridge has a roof over it but the trusses are exposed, it is just a bridge with a roof on it. In east Portland, there is a concrete bridge with a roof over it. A lot of people think it is a covered bridge but it is not.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2008, 11:16 AM   #7

lovelyshot................musket.

Bynx wrote:
Quote:
Does anyone know why there are covered bridges as opposed to just a regular bridge?

Thats a great nostalic shot smac. A keeper for sure. They dont build 'em like that too much any more. I bet they are the last of their kind.
Early bridges were made of wood, especially where it was a plentiful resource. Wooden bridges tended to deteriorate rapidly from exposure to the elements, having a useful lifespan of only nine years. Covering them protected their structural members, thus extending their life to 80 years or more. Covered bridges were also constructed to be used by travelers during storms and inclement weather.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Covered_bridge............musket.
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2008, 12:22 PM   #8

Thanks guys, now Im 2 brain cells smarter than before I read your answers. One of my fav movies is Bridges of Madison County, so seeing them is always a pleasure.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2008, 10:10 PM   #9

Very cool, Steve. I don't think I've ever seen one with quite so many lines.

These are all reminding me that I already have tons of photos with lines in them. Guess I should pull them out since I haven't had time during the day to get anything new.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2008, 1:12 AM   #10

calr wrote:
Quote:
Lines? What lines? I don't see any lines! :blah::blah: Actually, I don't see anything but lines. Great shot though tilted just a bit.

Cal
Cal, I took about 20 different shots of the interior of this bridge with an 18mm wide angle and they all have some tilt no matter how I tried to line them up. :lol: That was a major challenge in and of itself. But, thanks for looking. I know you have a bunch of covered bridges in you neck of the woods. They are pretty cool even when they won't stay straight for the camera.

Steve
smac is offline   Reply With Quote