Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jun 8, 2008, 6:00 PM   #1

Here's what I got out of the window an hour ago. The star between the overexposed Moon and Saturn is Regulus or alpha-Leonis, Mag 1.3.

Model: KODAK Z712 IS ZOOM DIGITAL CAMERA
35mm focal length [mm]: 43
ISO value: 64
Shutter speed [s]: 16.00 (hence the motion blur!)
Aperture: F5.7

The inset map is fromSkymap v.2.2.7, which I bought as a Win3.1 program in 1995 from Chris Marriott of Culceth, Warrington. http://www.skymap.com/
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2008, 6:11 PM   #2

...and I was quite pleased with the Moon itself, exposed for itself rather than the stars at 1/40s, f/5.7, ISO64, 432mm equiv. The Z712 is rather modest equipment for this demanding 'Challenge', and the Moon had a visible halo throughout due, I think, to thin cloud.
Attached Images

Old Jun 8, 2008, 9:18 PM   #3

Wow Alan, those are some great shots. Are you sure you don't have a telescope hiding somewhere:-)

Mugmar
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2008, 9:56 PM   #4

I'm very impressed. Just went out to shoot the crescent moon shining through the haze and I don't think I managed to get anything decent. These are great, Alan.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2008, 12:15 AM   #5

Thanks, folks! I was a bit astonished at what I got. Conditions were perfect apart from the veil of near-invisible cloud, with thicker stuff near the horizon. I've almost never used ISO64 before, rather than 100, and must do it more, on the tripod, to help my little sensor.

But the main thing was a glorious summer Sunday, allowing comfortable viewing through open windows, instead my more common hypothermia and frost during astronomical and other night antics of a photographic nature.

Igot good stuff earlier in the garden as well, some of which may surface in these forums in due course.

The bad news is that I spotted some annoying small dirt patches in the (ostensibly undemountable) optics, visible only at full zoom against a clear sky in a few frames. The camera's just out of warranty, but I couldn't bear to part with it anyway!I must look back to see if they've always been there, unnoticed.