Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jun 11, 2008, 1:32 AM   #1

The first shot was taken some 4+ years ago using my trusty old Minolta S404 with a zoom of about 5 showing the faint outline of the moon setting over the Mauna Kea (White mountain) volcano on the big island of Hawaii.

The second was taken a few minutes ago using my Sony A100 fitted with a Tamron F18-250mm lens.

1/362S, f8

This shot was taken at 1/250s, f6.3, 250mm at 400ISO. The 250mm is about a 12 Zoom. This shot was practically handheld sinceI used a drug store variety monopod. I couldn't find my tripod!

selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 11, 2008, 3:13 AM   #2

Well, the folk on top of Mauna Kea might have got better snapshots that night, Selvin, but I'm sure yours were enormously better value for money (in the short term, that is, until those of who're left can afford to go to the Moon again).

Actually they'd have missed your shot, because I expect the night shift on the telescopes would just have been getting out of bed.

Congratulations on your excellent use of monopod. I often improvise using windowsills, lamp-posts, etc., but they definitely weren't up the job for 12x moonshots. I proved it in my first few moon attempts the other night. Even using my tripod, I think moving about on the bedroom floor during my longer exposures shook thesetup a little.

Shifting my position on the bed also caused apparent movement of the Earth.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2008, 6:25 AM   #3

Forgive me Selvin for monkeying with your image but I had trouble getting my head around what I was looking at. The shoreline was so straight I thought I was looking at two images. And what is that small dark object in the top centre? Nice shot by the way.
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2008, 8:32 PM   #4

Looks like beautiful countryside, Selvin. So serene and peaceful.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote