Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jun 21, 2008, 6:55 PM   #1

Let me know if I am running this subject into the ground. I got to thinking about what Cal had said about messing with the white balance and I teaked just about everythng I could to get this slightly different view. It's alot hotter and has an angrier tone in my opinion.

Anyway, this will be the last time I post a shot from this series. Let's see what you all can come up with.

Go get 'em,

Steve

Last edited by smac; Jan 30, 2014 at 12:03 PM.
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2008, 7:58 PM   #2

I like both versions. But being red is my favorite color... I think I like this one best.

NotDadsW41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2008, 9:45 PM   #3

I like the colors of both versions Steve. But I particularly like the details of the shading in the S curve of the bulb itself. Nice job.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2008, 10:26 PM   #4

Ok, so the fluorescent tube is still yellow. How did you get the red on the shade?

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2008, 11:07 PM   #5

Interesting. I don't know which I like better.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2008, 11:45 PM   #6

calr wrote:
Quote:
Ok, so the fluorescent tube is still yellow. How did you get the red on the shade?

Cal
OK, bear with me I used iPhoto for these shots. I hope the adjustments translate to something recognizable to the rest of you. In the edit window I made the following adjustment to that photo.

I bumped the exposure up +1.0
I upped the contrast +29
I upped the highlights +67
I upped the shadows slightly +9.3
I increased the saturation from 50 to 60

The two controls below are the controls that produced the reds.

I pushed the temperature bar all the way to the right 100. This increased reds
I dropped the tint towards the purple to -42 This decreased greens

I hope this made sense. Just for fun I shot a series of pictures at all the different WB settings, leaving everything else exactly the same. If you have any interest in the results I have posted those photos at the following link. The white balance setting is indicated at the bottom of the window under Keyword. ie. Keywords auto
Cheers,
Steve

Interestingly enough, none of these shots give an accruate color representation of what the light fixtures actually looked like. Not until I backed off the zoom did I get anything that was even close to what my eye sees.

Last edited by smac; Jan 30, 2014 at 12:04 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 11:35 AM   #7

That's an interesting experiment, Steve, but I fear you have violated the forum guidelines. I suggest you reread the part of the forum guidelines pertaining to post processing. Artistic post processing, no matter how good it looks, is not permitted here.

The rules aside, I like your results.

Cal

Old Jun 22, 2008, 11:44 AM   #8

Now that this photo has been declared illegal no one is allowed to look at it. SMAC go sit in the corner for 5 minutes and do 10 hail marys. Anyone who disobeys this rule will have computer problems for 3 weeks.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2008, 1:20 PM   #9

Hmmmm.... No problem Cal, I thought I was within guidline #4.
  1. "Post-processing should be limited to BW or Sepia conversion, or adjustments to brightness, contrast, color balance, sharpness, and cropping."
I admit the adjustments were severe rather than slight but, I don't see that mentioned in the guidlines. I did nothing that wasn't mentioned in guidline 4, I adjusted brightness, contrast, and color balance. To me color balance includes temperature and hue. Maybe I'm wrong. I certainly understand the intent of the guidline and it's not something I intend to bend on a regular basis. The term "tweak" is used but it seems to me that that has a pretty broard range of interpretation as well. I did not use any filters or effects I simply manipulated the data that was within the photo itself.

I am not hurt or offended, just looking for clarification.

Don't worry everyone, I am not going to take my toys and go home. :lol:

Easy Bynx, I changed my avatar just for you. I understand what Cal is trying to do and I have no problem with the critique.

Old Jun 22, 2008, 2:04 PM   #10

Bynx wrote:
Quote:
Anyone who disobeys this rule will have computer problems for 3 weeks.
I am the one that is having computer problems. I think I am being punished for criticizing Steve's post. My wireless router has gone on strike. The wireless part is working but the ethernet (cabled) part is not working. I am logging on with my wife's laptop which is wireless.

Steve, technically you have not violated the letter of the law but rather the spirit. The intent of rule #4 was for correcting color balance that was incorrect and correcting other factors to improve the shot. The intent was for making a good photograph look better, not to create art.

The question is, can you duplicate this in the camera? Bynx and I have duked it out behind the barn on this topic and I think we reached a compromise where we would occasionally have a challenge where the post processing rules are thrown out the window.

Again, I like what you have done. I't just how you did it that I take issue with.

Cal