Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jul 16, 2008, 9:31 AM   #1

This challenge is an exercise in extreme depth of field. There is something called focusing at infinity (e.g. turning the focus ring to the stop). However, is there such a thing as infinite depth of field. I think there is but I'm not sure. It may depend on the quality of the lens you use.

For the next two weeks, you are to shoot photos with two subjects. One should be within ten feet (three meters) of the lens and the other at least 100 ft (30 meters) or more from the lens. Both subjects should be sharply focused.

To achieve this goal, set your lens to it's smallest aperture (largest f-stop) and use shutter speed to control your exposure. This will result in a slow shutter speed so use of a tripod and a remote cable or self-timer is highly recommended. Aperture priority mode or whatever it is called on your camera allows you to manually set the aperture while the metering system sets the shutter speed.

Composition is important in this type of shot. If the foreground subject is small, it could be placed just about anywhere in the shot. If it is large enough to hide the far subject, then it will need to be placed to one side to allow the far subject to be seen.

One of our members, smac, posted an excellent example last week of what I am looking for. Steve has kindly given me permission to repost it here.

Please put Near/Far in your subject line and remember no more than two photos per posting and no more than two postings per day.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links