Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jul 19, 2008, 7:19 AM   #1

Just in time to go on what I thought would be a walking holiday after recovering from foot surgery, I have a fine case of tennis elbow (bursitis) from hedge trimming and a painful left knee cartilage. So I'm taking it easy and reading the morning paper.

The sun has been in & out between showers, so I did some 'near & far' experiments. These two shots are both at 1/250, f/8, 36mm equiv. The first is focused on the camera's infinity setting, and the second manually on the window stud & handle.

They are resized, then PSP7's USM at default radius and clipping, strength 20.At 1:1 I can't tell the difference in sharpness of the trees on the skyline, and I can just see that the nearer focused one is sharper on the newspaper. I can see a tiny difference at 2:1 on the skyline.

It would be informative if someone tried a similar shot with a dSLR, to see what aperture would be required for this DoF, though of course sharpness would be better overall. Inspection of the originals would be necessary, of course, because resizing and sharpening method would alter the result.

Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2008, 7:23 AM   #2

...and manual focus on the window stay & stud. The newspaper looks different because it's still pretty breezy here...
Attached Images

Old Jul 19, 2008, 9:08 AM   #3

I really can't see much difference between the two photos but where are your feet? After reading the caption, I expected to see your feet in the photos!

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2008, 10:09 AM   #4

Yes, Cal, at this size, that's what I was saying. At f/8 through my little lens, there is no discernible difference until you view the image pixel for pixel on your monitor, or possibly twice that size, between focusing on infinityand focusing about 3ft6in away. Here are 1:1 pixel for pixel clips, infinity on the left, window fittings on right, and there's little difference. The equivalent shots from a dSLR would, I'm sure, show a substantial difference, possibly even at f/8, simply because of better glass and sensor.

The feet would be censored if I showed them.
Attached Images