Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jul 20, 2008, 1:55 AM   #1

Bight sunny intervals this morning, so I hobbled tothe churchyard to take this for the challenge at 07:28 British Summer Time, with the sun in the right place. It was rather chilly as I had to wait for the sun to shine through the fluffy clouds behind me.

It's my wife's maternal grandparents' grave. They lived with her parents, across the churchyard from us, for their last 14 years or so. What you can't see, hidden behind the heather, is the phrase on the headstone "Married for 70 years".

Great Grandpa Charlie retired as Chief Fire Officer of Darlington, NE England, was partially deafened by a near miss in the Manchester Blitz, and told me many entertaining fireman's tales, never repeating himself. I regretnot recording them. He bought my bright red VW Golf before moving here, and drove it alarmingly as if he was going to a fire 'shout'.

1/200s, f/8, 36mm equiv.
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 20, 2008, 6:32 AM   #2

Very nice picture and a great story to go with it.
yesterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2008, 6:45 AM   #3

Thanks, yesterday. Lunchtime now. Here's another bedroom shot,through the fixed window, to show the 'non-stained glass' Islay memento that hangs there, and the dramatic blustery, sunny, showery day we're having. The leaves aren't as sharp as the chimney pot at 1/200s, f/8,strikingly so on the original, because they're blowing wildly about.

I'm home alone at present.My family are on holiday in a cottage (in which I won't fit!)on the Isle of Mull, just across the water from the historically holy Isle of Iona.They'll have gone to church today in the Abbey where my wife & I were married.

From the hills & beaches there they'll be able to see the Isle of Islay, away to the south. I'll meet wife & sonup there next week, I hope, for a Scottish holiday in our campervan. The folk in that mediaeval vessel would be having a very tough time today in the gales.
Attached Images

Old Jul 20, 2008, 10:21 AM   #4

Very nice, Alan. I like the church in the background. I went by a cemetery yesterday and thought it would be a nice near and far shot and was going back today. But, your church in the background is better.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2008, 12:25 PM   #5

I really like your personal annecdotes Alan. Thanks.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2008, 12:38 PM   #6

Thanks, folks.

I've been trying to translate the Latin on the dangly ship thing. MacDonalds (FILII DONALDIS) are doing something to do with Islay (YLE), but I've no idea what the ENGUS DE bit means. Google and tourist websites haven't helped.

Edit: Got it (from Clan MacDonald website "The name of Clan Donald itself derives from Donald of Islay, great-grandson of Somerled, who had a number of children, but in particular two sons, Angus Mor and Alasdair Mor." ).

So it says "Angusfrom Islay, Son of Donald".

They were obviously well-spoken & upper-class. Posh Englishmen at Wimbledon today would say "Engus's Deddy was called Donald. His Deddy's dead".
Old Jul 22, 2008, 1:22 PM   #7

Aan,

Lovely pictures captures the challenge spirit very well.

Like others have commented I appreciate the commentaries also.

For one fleeting moment I saw "Filii Donaldis" and I thought a horrible thought. The MacDonalds filet of fish, pride of the MacDonald's fleet, had roots in Alan's family. All in jest...

Aloha

selvin is offline   Reply With Quote