Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jul 21, 2008, 12:20 AM   #1
daz

I started to do some calculations on what F stops to use with focal lengths and it started to give me a headache. So I just decided to go out and take some photos. I was going to do this near & far photo but by the time I got back the sun was setting. I thought no light was just more of a challenge so I stared to do some more calculations to add flash.

I figured it all out for 16mm and 31mm. I was going to do 50mm but my head started to hurt more and I stated to confuse guide numbers with how many slaves I was going to have to use. So I stopped at just 2.

DAZ

16mm
Attached Images

daz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 21, 2008, 12:21 AM   #2
daz

This is at 31mm.

DAZ
Attached Images

Old Jul 21, 2008, 11:07 AM   #3

Great work, Daz! I like both shots but the second is outstanding. If I had to do all those calculations, I would never get any photos taken. As it is, I went out and shot 72 photos yesterday without a single calculation...and none of them qualify for this challenge! My only "calculation" was to decide whether or not to use fill flash. (forest setting)

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2008, 1:44 PM   #4

Daz,

With a shirt like that you should be on the beach in Waikiki contemplating what f-stop would be required to capture the sun bathers on the baeh and the studs and studettes cavorting on the waves riding their surfboards.

Lovely comtemplative setting with very nice control over the lighting.

Aloha

selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2008, 9:21 PM   #5
daz

Thanks Cal. I am like you I'd rather just go out and take photos. That is what I did when I was at the air show. But I think I have been a little lazy/rusty about some things I had learned about photography a long time ago that needed to brush up on. This challenge was a good chance to do some old school and do it all in the camera.

Thanks Selvin. I had to go back and look at the photo to look at my shirt to see what you were talking about. I had forgotten I had that shirt on. I would be nice to be back on the beach but I don't think that what f-stop to use would be what I was thinking of. Maybe where is my long lens but I would let the camera do that kind of thinking about f-stop.

After I had the easy (16mm) to do photo in the camera I change my poise for the 31mm photo to what I though was a little better one. I am glad you liked the lighting. I had planed on doing this all in camera but in the full daylight. Usually I concentrate on getting what I want to photograph and just get the lighting close. I would do small changes to lighting and things like that PP. For this I wanted it to all be in camera. I am glad I had taken my full photo kit when I went out that day so I had my flash tools with me.

DAZ