Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jul 25, 2008, 4:25 AM   #1

I've wanted an excuse to post this since last summer holiday when I took it. It's Ben More, the most northerly 'Munro' (3000-ft, 914m Scottish mountain, of which there are284). We spent the night in our camper van here at its foot with a view to an ascent in the morning, but the weather had 'clagged in', so it'll have to wait a year or two.

I apologise for the dirty windscreen, but there was no question of stepping outside to clean it. Outside were clouds of voracious Scottish midges, who'd smelt Sassenach blood, but remarkably failed to find their way in. I have abandoned campsites in the past, and even a whole holiday in Glencoe, because of them.

1/40s, f/8, ISO64, 36mm equiv. It was a focusing challenge, but I must have been tired and ready for bed. The low ISOis clearly a mistake, but it's sharp enough anyway thanks to IS.

Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 25, 2008, 7:03 AM   #2

Great picture and story.
yesterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2008, 8:08 AM   #3

Interesting composition. Works for this challenge. As always, I enjoy your commentary!
vsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2008, 8:36 AM   #4

Nice shot and story Alan. By the way, Im glad to see that passengers get their own steering wheel to play with. Does it work or is it just for decoration?
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2008, 9:50 AM   #5

Well you could flip it left-right for the transatlantic version, if you like!
Thanks, folks.

If you meant the extra rear-view mirror, it was there when I bought the vehicle. It's useful when teaching someone to drive, or for the front passengerto keep an eye on the rear passengers. It also gives a different rear view for the driver if desired, but that's redundant because of a Ford Transit's excellent external mirrors, which include a convex wide angle portion.

Old Jul 27, 2008, 10:22 AM   #6

he he scotland and midges.........we did glencoe campsite......the big un before the village, they have midge busters now so they are ok........red squirrel site was a bit worse but u can allways go to the pub when they are out for an hour or so.

try Avon's "Skin so soft" we got tipped of about that in a walking shop and found it keeps them away.

you must bet pretty fit to walk munroes !!! a friend who frequents a local pub asdone nearly all of them......!!

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2008, 1:16 PM   #7

Reanimator wrote:
Quote:
you must bet pretty fit to walk munroes !!! a friend who frequents a local pub asdone nearly all of them......!!
Actually, it would have been very, verypainful due to 2 years' foot trouble, but worth it, having gone all the way to Cape Wrath. So I was a little relieved about the weather, but disappointed for my son, who was very keen to do it.

Now, after radical surgery and other medical amusements, I'm optimistic about getting up at least a couple of hills shortly when I rendezvous with the family who're on holiday in Scotland already. I've climbed a lot of them in the past.In the 70s I did all the 4000-footers ina week's long backpacking trip. That's a lot easier than the Munros. We sat on Cairn Gorm, waiting successfully for someone who'd come up by chairlift to ask where we'd walked from, so we could say "Fort William" (which is on the other side of Scotland).