Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jul 27, 2008, 3:11 AM   #1

Australia is blessed with thousands and thousands of kilometres of unspoiled coastline, and with a great warm climate, can be enjoyed a lot!

Here are some "far / near" compositions using my Fuji point and shoot taken in Tasmania , Australia's island state.

St Helens, one of its beaches near the Peron Dunes. I was lying on my stomach to take this photo.

Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 27, 2008, 3:15 AM   #2

And here is a cliff area, at West Beach, on the northern coastal area of Tasmania (not sure where the "west" comes into it... but let's not get into that!!)

The cliff is high (a couple hundred metres), and is a sheer drop into the ocean (well some rocks below for a few metres... then ocean). When I first saw the movie "Princess Bride" - the section of the film where Andre the Giant climbs up the cliff carrying 3 people on a big robe... well that cliff very much reminded me of this area of Tasmania, though I don't think it was filmed there!

Typically the beach is deserted and so clean. Nothing like salty sea water to freshen you up!

Paul

Attached Images

Old Jul 27, 2008, 8:03 AM   #3

The first image is especially nice....from the grasses to themountains, perfect in every way!
vsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2008, 7:27 PM   #4

Both shuts meet the challenge in all respects. Your DOF is outstanding in both shots.

I was in Australia about 40 years ago but never saw anything like this. I was in the Perth/Fremantle area for several days. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2008, 10:01 PM   #5

The first shot is exactly like many Hebridean beaches in Scotland, where I hope to be shortly. These would stand out among the many fine postcard scenes by famous photographers that fill the classier end of every gift shop! The light is exactly right.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2008, 11:07 PM   #6

I completely agree with the others. Outstanding photos and DOF control. Bravo.
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2008, 12:23 AM   #7

#1 is extra special.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2008, 11:05 PM   #8

Both are beautiful shots.

I know well the scene in the Princess Bride. My son used to watch that movie again and again.:-)

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2008, 8:40 AM   #9

Thank you ALL for your kind, and so generous comments and compliments on these 2 photos. They are also kind of "Tasmanian coastal favourites" of mine now.

It's amazing what a little Fuji $200 point and shoot can do! I give credit to the great weather and lovely scenic places... hard NOT to get a good photo in those conditions...

Thanks again

Paul

Ps... Patty... glad someone knows what I'm talking about re: Princess Bride. I could have been your son. I've seen the Princess Bride many times. I have only watched very few movies more than once... I think Princess Bride wins the award for the movie I've seen the most!! (I could have be your son!) :G
Old Jul 29, 2008, 11:31 AM   #10

Paul, Both photos are posts card quality and Princess Bride is one of my all time favorites too. My wife and I are constantly citing quotes from that movie.
Steve
smac is offline   Reply With Quote