Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jul 27, 2008, 3:32 AM   #1

Hi all

Yesterday I went for a walk in a natural reserve & historical area about 10 minutes drive from my home. Although the weather forecast had been "showers" - it was a largely fine and even sunny day! (so yes, I made the most of it... though not quite warm enough to be swimming at the beach... but hey - it's winter here in Adelaide, South Australia...)

Anyway, this photo I took very specifically for this forum challenge. Thinking of you guys all along my bush walk! :G

It is a rusted wire (about 3 cm thick) which had formed a natural arch... so I lay on the ground very close (about 30 cm) to the wire (with my 10-20mm Sigma lens at full "zoom" 20mm), took this photo looking towards the hilltop (which is about 300 metres away). You can see a power pole at the top of that hill

I set my Canon 350D at aperture f14 to keep as much in focus as possible.

Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 27, 2008, 3:38 AM   #2

This next photo I took a long time ago, well in 2001 - which is long before I joined Steve's forums.

It is a scene taken (again lying on my stomach), but this time in Romania. An old rusted metal busket which was lying on farmland presented an opportunity for framing - as I took the photo towards a shepherds hut (to the left) and up on the hill a barn, which was partly under reconstruction.

This barn now is used as a multipurpose room (sports, group activities, recreation and meeting room) for a Christian rehabilitation centre (part of a mission project that I was involved with for almost 10 years). Recovering alcoholics and drug addicts use that facility in its completed state today.

I only realised when I was preparing to post these photos here, that they also would fulfil a criteria of "rust" should we ever have that challenge (again?) on this forum!! Taken with my first digital camera, which was a small Fuji point and shoot.

I hope you enjoy both photos.

Paul
Attached Images

Old Jul 27, 2008, 7:20 PM   #3

Very well done, Paul. I like the first one the best. I would never have thought that some old rusty cable would make a good photo subject but it really works!

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2008, 8:28 AM   #4

Thanks Cal (Mr Moderator!) for looking and commenting.

Yes, often it's interesting what can make an unusual "photo subject"... especially with good challenges like this one.

Cheers

Paul