Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jul 28, 2008, 1:20 AM   #1

Once again, this is not a new picture, but those leaves are SO near the camera and yet the street behind is in great focus, I couldn't resist it. I have to give the camera all the credit though as this was taken in a program mode. This is one of the students in our middle school classroom taken when we went outside last fall to enjoy a perfect day.
Attached Images

spedangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2008, 11:02 PM   #2

Cool picture, spedangie. Bet the kids had a blast that day!

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2008, 3:36 AM   #3

spedangie wrote:
Quote:
...I have to give the camera all the credit though as this was taken in a program mode...
Well it didn't point itself in the right direction, or choose the perfect moment, did it?

However, I note from your fortunately still-attached exif data that it wisely chose 1/800s, f/5.2, ISO80, at 37mm equiv. on your FZ20.

That's just like some of my shots in this challenge where I've got similar settings in shutter priority mode because I've had just a gentle breeze and some motion to contend with, rather than your rapidly fluttering leaves. I think we both have bright light to thank, as well! And also our large DoF because of an actual 6mm focal length, which is frankly a bit of cheat in most of my shots.

However, your big camera (Oly E510, I see, from your 'sewage pond') does have inherently better quality in many ways. Would the E510 have done so brilliantly if it had been there, do you think?
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2008, 8:35 AM   #4

Spedangie

This is a good one. I remember playing with autumn (fall) leaves when I was a youngster.

I like the idea! Background looks very US neighbour hood style.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2008, 12:48 PM   #5

I have been having so much fun now that I've jumped to a DSLR. I truly loved the Panasonic-it was my 'tiptoe' into more flexibility in photography. I have passed it on to my great nephew who now learning about DOF and F stops and Bokeh.I still have much to learn myself but now I can experiment even more. I should get my Zuiko 12-60 lens today, it's going to Colorado with us next week. I'm so lucky to have a patient husband who is willing to wait while I try different exposures and points of view, etc. And yes, I bet the 510 would have made the leafy picture even better--especially if I had that new honkin' (expensive, yikes) lens on it.

Thanks for your encouragement and great comments.

Angie
spedangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2008, 3:39 PM   #6

spedangie wrote:
Quote:
....yes, I bet the 510 would have made the leafy picture even better--especially if I had that new honkin' (expensive, yikes) lens on it...
Well, what I meant was that even with your excellent new camera and lens, you might well have had to turn up the ISO to get both the DoF and the frozen action, because at the same aperture in terms of f-number, your dSLR's depth of of field would be less, because of its larger aperture in real diameter terms.

It's the absolute size of the hole that determines DoF, with a pinhole camera at one extreme, and an antique 8x6 plate camera at the other.

That's why I've been fascinated to view the exif data where possible for actual (millimetric) focal length and aperture on everybody's shots in this particular challenge. Folk with smaller sensors get a bigger depth of field than, say, dSLRs for the same shot at the same settings, as seen when the final images are viewed at the same size. But they pay aprice in overall image quality.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2008, 7:36 PM   #7

Angie,

Another great submission. For many years I labored in the fields with Point and Shoot cameras and to be honest some of them were winners. I sorta view the SLDRs as a toolbox with more tools and sometimes better ones. On occasion the point and shoot toolboxes have a better solution than the DSLRs.

A few features were tried out extensively on P&S before become standard issue on the DSLR e.g. anti-shake in its various incantations.

Thanks for submitting. Aloha

selvin is offline   Reply With Quote