Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jul 28, 2008, 6:33 PM   #1

I think this qualifies as near and far. The bike is near and the rest is far. Its in focus but there is motion so its fuzzy.
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2008, 9:31 PM   #2

Nice shot, Bynx. But let me pose a question. Is depth of field even a consideration in motion shots? Since everything in the shot is blurred due to panning, it is difficult to tell if there is any DOF.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2008, 10:22 PM   #3

Actually DOF was a consideration when shooting this. I used F13.6, my smallest aperture. I wanted as much sharpness as possible. So the bike and I were in focus as well as everything else. The only difference is that everything else is moving towards the bike relative to the camera. By the way there was no panning with this shot. The camera was attached to the bike. I set the 10 second timer and pedalled hard so the bike and camera were one relative to everything else. Here is another shot from the same days shooting. Now here is the situation. Usually the camera is sitting on a stationary earth and things move around on that earth. Here the camera is on a moving object and relative to the camera, that moving object is not moving. Everything else is moving instead. The rules of DOF would still apply but due to the motion would be not out of focus but rather blurred from movement. I see its a bit of gray area. No problem I can delete this post.
Attached Images

Old Jul 29, 2008, 3:59 AM   #4

I like these, especially the first (which is anevocative piece of art, as well an educational tool). Most folk (the masses who don't frequent our wonderful forum!) would have let the camera get on with it, but you did the experiments, Bynx.

I see you got a 1/10s at ISO 64 and your chosen f/13.6 on your 6.3mm actual focal length, so the first shot is a tribute to the solidity of your bike mounting, especially on afairly roughtrack. Did you try any at faster shutter speeds, and focused a bit further away?
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2008, 6:55 AM   #5

There are a few drawbacks to the Fuji S700/5700 and cable release is one. It would have been nice to just press a button for a shot. The other drawback is keeping each shot with a 10 second timer since no cable release is available. I had to stop get the camera set then climb aboard, lean back and click the shutter using the 10 second timer. Then pedal like mad trying to keep my leg still for the 10 second mark so it wouldnt be blurred by movement. My favorite shot is this one which I felt didnt do this challenge justice as my first choice.
Attached Images

Old Jul 29, 2008, 8:34 AM   #6

Wow Bynx

You have such great imagination and execution!

Great photos... and thanks for explaining. I still think you are an original inventor, and you should be able to fix most of today's problems in the world!!

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2008, 3:11 PM   #7

Thanks a lot PJ. But when one is having so much fun, its not hard coming up with an idea. Besides with all the visual things that get thrown at us every day most ideas arent original. Looking at the bike shot reminds me of the car chase in Bullet. I am thinking of a gizmo to hold the camera that can be attached to any object so pictures can be taken at any angle. Even moving objects.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 7:46 PM   #8

Bynx,

This is akin somewhat to those folks with a camera mounted on their head while skydiving and the earth screaming towards them. The DOF is probably set at infinity to try and keep everything in focus.

In addition to the high f-stop perhaps setting the focus at infinity might help this along.

Aloha

selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2008, 12:12 AM   #9

This isnt the last of my motion shots. On my next attempt I will be thinking of you Selvin and others with your suggestions. Things can only get better. Thanks.