Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jul 31, 2008, 11:47 PM   #1

These two homemade headstones are in a small country cemetary near where I grew up. We spent many hours studying the gravestones (many of which date to the mid 1800's) and making up stories about the people who were buried there. The Snell children's markers always made us cry and then rush to gather field daisies and wild roses to lay at their bases. This is Allie's marker.
Attached Images

spedangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 31, 2008, 11:52 PM   #2

And this is her brother's, who was born in the year his sister died and also only lived two years. We have not been able to find out any information about their family, but we continue to put flowers on the graves when we do so for our own family members.
Attached Images

Old Aug 1, 2008, 7:18 AM   #3

These are nice, spedangie.

Can you tell me what town they are in? I might be able to do some searching in genealogy records and see if I can find anything out for you.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2008, 11:55 PM   #4

That would be awesome. The cemetary is located in what was once a (very) small town called Wreford, thus it's called Wreford Cemetary. Many years ago Wreford boasted a post office, general store and MKT train depot, but that's all long gone, now just a few houses remain. It's located in Geary County, Kansas. Junction City has long been the county seat for Geary County.

There are a number of people named Snell in this area, we just never ran across anyone from our Wreford area who knew exactly which Snell family this might have been or the circumstances of these little one's deaths. We never tried much extensive research, just asked everyone who had any connection to Wreford if they could tell us about these children. This tended to be a community of long time residents, some of the families (including mine) homesteaded there in the 1800s.

Thanks for your interest--Angie
Old Aug 2, 2008, 3:45 AM   #5

Hi angie

Thanks for sharing these in this forum. Very sad though, as you write... to think a family lost two children within 2 years, both aged two. There is a lot of grief in this world we just don't know about.

It would be interesting if Patty could find out some more information.

Photo-wise, yes you've captured the fronts of the headstones in focus with the background out of focus.

Thanks for posting.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2008, 6:50 PM   #6

The photos are excellent and tell a very sorrowful story. I hope you can learn more about this family.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2008, 10:19 PM   #7

After some quick searching, I found a Robert Snell aged 1 year 2 months in the 1920 census for Lyon Township, Geary Co, KS. He is the son of Albert and Addie Snell. They 44 and 37 years old, respectively. Albert was born in KS and is a farmer. Albert's father was born in Ohio. His wife was born in Iowa with her father being born in Illinois and her mother in Iowa.

The other children in the household include: Ruth age 18, Ora age 15, Gladys age 13, Henry age 10, Ester age 8 and Vernon age 5.

1918 was the year of the influenza epidemic. I can't prove that's what Allie might have died of, but it's a good place to start. "In the United States alone, 550,000 died within the 16-week period from October 1918 to February 1919." from http://www.history.navy.mil/library/...pid%201918.htm

My great grandfather died in Montreal of the flu in 1918.

Anyway, thunderstorms are fast approaching. So, must get offline right now. I'll see what else I can find of interest tomorrow. I can send to you privately if others aren't interested.

Patty
Old Aug 2, 2008, 11:13 PM   #8

What great information. Now that you mention it, we had thought that influenza might had been involved in the little girl's death. There was a major outbreak in nearby Ft. Riley in 1918 and of course it spread to the surrounding areas. I can't believe none of my siblings had thought of researching on the internet. I'll be sure to pass whatever you find to my family. Thanks!! Angie
Old Aug 9, 2008, 8:53 PM   #9

Hi spedangie, Didn't forget about this, just been having internet connection problems. New modem now and much better connections.

Anyway, I found Albert and Addie in the 1930 census. They are in Jefferson Township, Geary Co, KS. It seems they were married in 1900. He is still a farmer. The children living with them are as follows:

Ora, age 24; Henry, age 20; Vernon, age 16; and Albert Jr age 5. It seems strange they waited until they'd had 8 other children before they have a Jr.

The 1940 census won't be available until 2012. So, a little wait for that.

I found Albert, single, in the 1895 census with probably his parents - Henry (also a farmer) and Mary. They were both born in 1850. He's still in Lyon Township.

1900 census shows Henry and Mary in Junction City.The census taker didn't follow the rules. But, this gives you more information. Henry was born Oct 13, 1847, Mary January 14, 1848. They have only been married 7 years. So, she is probably not Albert's mother. Living with them are stepdaughters (to Henry) Rosalie M Rector, born June 14, 1877 in Indiana; Mary E Rector, born Dec 17, 1888 in Indiana; an adopted son, Clyde R Snell, born January 31, 1899.

In 1910 it is just Henry, Mary and Clyde.

In 1880, Henry is with Oliver, age 7; Albert, age 5; and brothers (to Henry) Christopher, age 35 and John age 30. They are in Jefferson, Davis Co, KS.

Sorry this a little disjointed. I'm searching on another page and trying to piece this altogether. Maybe this will help you find descendants of these Snell's and you can find out more about Robert and Allie.

Patty