Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Aug 2, 2008, 4:16 AM   #1

Hello everyone!

I hope you are all having a good weekend. I went out to my garden earlier today (Saturday) and decided to make some photos for this challenge.

Using my Canon 350D with the 18-55mm kit lens I made a few photos of this small but beautiful flower near my fence.

The first photo (below) shows the flower in focus, while the background is blurred due to the shallow depth of field.

Pay particular notice to the stamen which is longer than the others and protrudes maybe about 2 mm from the heart of the flower....
Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 2, 2008, 4:21 AM   #2

..... well you can see how shallow a depth of field exists in this second photo, because that "longer stamen" is now out of focus in this photo of the same flower.

I composed this second photo directly facing the same flower, and only the heart of the flower with the cluster of stamens and the "rounded petals" are in focus. The longer pointed petals are out of focus (because as you can see from the first photo, they also point forwards somewhat).

Keep in mind this flower is only about the size of my thumb...!

My kit lens (18-55mm) is my closest focusing lens, so I use it for macro work when I need to get in close.

Thanks for viewing, everyone!

Paul
Attached Images

Old Aug 2, 2008, 6:56 PM   #3

This is an excellent demonstration of depth of field and how narrow DOF can be when doing macro work. These photos are excellent.

For your information, I think that "long stamen" is actually the pistil which is the female seed producing part of the flower. The stamens contain the pollen which must be delivered to the stamen of another flower for reproduction to take place.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2008, 1:21 AM   #4

calr wrote:
Quote:
This is an excellent demonstration of depth of field and how narrow DOF can be when doing macro work. These photos are excellent.

For your information, I think that "long stamen" is actually the pistil which is the female seed producing part of the flower. The stamens contain the pollen which must be delivered to the stamen of another flower for reproduction to take place.

Cal
Thanks Cal for your very kind comments. Much appreciated.

You are such a knowledgeable man. Thanks for educating me / us about the "pistil" and the reproductive nature of that part of the flower. I should have done more research or at least looked up wikipedia... but thanks for filling me in!!

It's always good to be on this forum.

Paul