Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Aug 2, 2008, 9:25 PM   #1

I went out this morning to play with my new Bigma. This Green Heron was just about as curious about me as I was about him. He generally kept down in the grass, but occasionally would pop his head up a little for a peek.

The DOF isn't quite as narrow on this Northern Cardinal because I wanted the whole bird in focus

Both taken at 500mm + a 1.4X teleconverter. The EXIF reads f6.7, but it was actually one stop slower because of the TC.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 3, 2008, 1:03 AM   #2

Hi Paul

Congratulations on your new Bigma. Both are fine birds, and your photos display the narrow depth of field possible with such long focal lengths.

The colours of both are very appealing.

Cheers

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2008, 9:19 AM   #3

Great photos.
flutelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2008, 4:12 PM   #4

I desire to be enlightened! What is a Bigma? If it is a camera, who makes it and what type is it? (e.g. P&S, DSLR, etc)

Your Heron shot is an excellent example of selective focus. I assume you used manual focus. I think auto focus would have targeted the grass in front of the bird. Both shots are excellent.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2008, 7:16 PM   #5

calr wrote:
Quote:
I desire to be enlightened! What is a Bigma? If it is a camera, who makes it and what type is it? (e.g. P&S, DSLR, etc)
Cal,

The Bigma is the nickname for the Sigma 50-500mm lens...named not only forits 500mm reach, but also for its weight. I was using it with a 1.4X teleconverter to stretch the reach out to 700mm, shooting off a monopod. I just got it Friday afternoon, and these are from the first group of shots I took with it. I'm using it on my Pentax K20d.

You are right about using manual focus to get past the grass in the foreground. There is one blade that I thought about cloning out, but I was concerned about ruining the lines on his beak. The cardinal was taken with AF, but just barely. With the teleconverter, the lens has trouble getting enough light for the AF sensor. Both of these are nearly full frame shots.

Thanks for the kind words.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote