Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Aug 3, 2008, 12:44 PM   #1
daz

I was in the neighborhood of this statue this weekend and I though it may be a good subject for the shallow depth of field.

DAZ
Attached Images

daz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 3, 2008, 12:46 PM   #2
daz

Little bit different view.

DAZ
Attached Images

Old Aug 4, 2008, 4:33 AM   #3

Daz,

Nicely done under some difficult lighting. I had planned a trip to the statue about a week ago but they predicted thunderstorms so we cancelled our trip -- a mistake since there were no thunderstorms.

selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2008, 11:42 AM   #4

Call me the Grinch but I think for these shots I would prefer to have the entire statue in focus. The entire statue is a huge symbol of freedom and hope for our country. Different parts of the statue represent different things but none is less important than the whole and none stands on its own. Consequently, I think to focus on one part of the statue takes something away from the whole.

Philosophical feelings and comments aside, as an exercise in controlling DOF, you have done well.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2008, 12:54 PM   #5

Nice shots, but I don't think these are of THE Statue of Liberty.

Compare them to http://www.nps.gov/ner/pgalleryconte...0817095726.JPG
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2008, 3:40 PM   #6

There are two others, one in Paris near the Eiffel Tower and the other in Luxembourg. I know that the one in Paris only stands about six feet tall. I don't know about the one in Luxembourg.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2008, 4:00 PM   #7

Here's a side-by-side comparison.

In addition to being an exercise in depth of field, I think this is also an exercise in macrophotography. My guess is that daz's Statue of Liberty usually wears a lampshade.

So, daz. Busted? [suB]:-)[/suB]

Old Aug 4, 2008, 6:54 PM   #8
daz

It appears I have an oops here. As it takes more to correct something then to do it right and I don't want to repeat my mistakes this may get a little long. For that I apologies in advance.

If I confused anyone into thinking for even a blink that this was the full size Statue of Liberty I apologies for that. I did not say anything in advance, as I did not think that I was in anyway a good enough photographer to confuse anyone here.

What I took a photo of is a life size statue in front of a tax preparing business that I pass on my way home from work. The name of I will not say but is you have one of these tax preparing business were you live you will know the name. Last challenge we did big DOF. The first photo I did for that challenge had a big DOF but look boring. I did do better job later but for this challenge I wanted to do better.

My intent was to take the life size statue (that was about 6 feet/2 meters) and make it look larger then life and 3D. I did not intend to make it look (300 feet/100meters) like the full size Statue of Liberty or at least I did not think I could . This statue is just a knockoff copy (and not all that good of one) you can buy to put in your yard if you like that kind of thing. So TCav you are close but not quite macro. No lampshade but there is a yellow light bulb in her hand.

Selvin thanks about the lighting but that was by intent. I waited till the afternoon to take this photo. When I got there the sun was behind some clouds but I took a photo anyway. Always take the photo you can, then if you can, wait for the photo you want. When the sun came out I took these photos. I think the hard shadows make it look more 3D but it is harder to balance the lights to shadows.

Cal I agree that if I was taking a photo of the full size Statue of Liberty that I would go for max DOF but we did that last challenge. I have seen a lot of photos of the full size Statue of Liberty with a small DOF compared to the statue. If just the head was in focus in the full size that would be about 17-18 feet and that is not all that shallow. This challenge we are doing shallow DOF so on the life size the DOF is 7-8 inches. A shallow DOF makes the statue look bigger.

I have not ever been to Liberty Inland. I have been to Manhattan Inland but I was to busy and it was too hectic to go then. I think I saw it from the bus on the way to Manhattan Inland from Jersey but the windows were very dirty and the stretched steel stopped me from wiping or opening the window. Some time I would like to go and visit with time to see it all.

DAZ
Old Aug 4, 2008, 7:25 PM   #9

I grew up in Brooklyn. Battery Park, at the southern tip of Manhattan Island, is probably my favorite place in the world. In 1970, I took the boat trip from Battery Park to the Statue of Liberty. Back then, they let you up into the statue, and it was spectacular. I got to look out the windows in her crown, but the observation deck in the torch was closed. Currently, they don't let anyone up there any more, but it would still be a memorable experience. And spend some time in Battery Park.