Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Aug 17, 2008, 11:22 AM   #1

Encouraged by my Scottish holiday, I dragged my son to Snowdonia (90min. drive) the day before yesterday, to climb a Welsh mountain. Here my son himself, the Glyder Range of mountains, a nice lunch on a hill, and my venerable 30-year old rucksack are my favourite things. He's carrying my big rucksack with all the food and drink, in an ineffective attempt to slow him down to my pace.
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 17, 2008, 11:36 AM   #2

This is Tryfan, one of Snowdonia's '14 Peaks' over 3000 feet,our objective, a good scramble, rather demanding of my remodelled foot. However, we pressed on and here we're looking back as we climbed Glyder Fach, another, bigger one.

I was completing a job begun on May Day 2005, when I tried and failed to get Will up Tryfan due to foot and other health problems. We only got as far as the col seen below us that time. This time it was he who got me up.

The pimples on the top are two 6-foot natural stone blocks, called 'Adam and Eve' about 3ft apart. It is traditional to jump from one to the other, on the edge of a precipice. I've done it, many years ago on a nice day. The tops are highly polished, and I saw only one person do it this Friday.

How are the mighty fallen! In 1977 I trotted over all 14 Peaks one go, in 8h25m peak to peak, then about twice the record time. This time I was reduced by the end of the day to extreme difficulty getting downstairs at home after just two of them, just as my wife had been after the Pap of Glencoe! Nevertheless I am delighted at my promising comeback.
Attached Images

Old Aug 17, 2008, 10:25 PM   #3

Alan,

What an accomplishment among your favorite places. The scenery takes your breath away. It's easy to see the reasons for your affection.

I suspect that as a you grow more familiar with your, " remodelled foot" it gets even better.

Aloha

selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2008, 12:59 PM   #4

Wow, what a view. Makes me want to come and visit that area sometime.

Mugmar
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2008, 1:32 PM   #5

As I said on your other post, beautiful scenery and terrain. I hope the foot continues to serve you well.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2008, 5:10 AM   #6

Great views and great photos. I'm happy that your foot is doing better so you an enjoy your favorite things again.
yesterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2008, 2:41 PM   #7

Thanks everyone! The aching limbs have just about recovered, so I'm planning another upwards jaunt soon.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 3:31 PM   #8

So beautiful!!!

Bob
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2008, 4:19 PM   #9

Thanks, Bob.

Here's a picture down to the valley, over 2000 feet below, between the stone pillars, Adam & Eve. As I said, it's a BIG drop just through that gap. It looks just a small step between them, but too much for me at present. Our Will was under strict instructions from his Mum not to attempt it.
Attached Images

Old Aug 21, 2008, 6:53 AM   #10

Beautiful countryside, Alan. Looks like you could get lost in there for days and no one would find you.

Hope you foot heals quickly so you can do more hiking.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote