Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Aug 23, 2008, 11:15 PM   #1

I think I found a new addiction (or midlife crisis). I built a Lego crawler crane last Friday. It was too big to fit into my light box.

dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 24, 2008, 12:41 PM   #2

Nice job! There is a Lego store in our local mall that sells all the specialty kits plus bulk bins of the basic blocks in all colors.

I did some contract work for IBM a couple years ago and they had a couple of those Lego tables that you see for kids in doctors offices. However, in this case it's not kids that play with them. It's IBM engineers in their spare time. I even played with them a bit on my lunch hour.

I keep telling my wife that they didn't have Lego blocks when I was a kid and I want some!

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2008, 2:42 PM   #3

Very cool. I had the opportunity to visit Lego Land in Billing, Denmark (where the Lego factory is located). It is amazing what they have built. You acutally forget you are looking at models made from legos

Mugmar
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2008, 12:03 PM   #4

I visited our local Lego store yesterday and searched the whole store for this crane be didn't find it. I talked to one of the sales people who tried to locate it on the Lego website but he couldn't find it. Did you scratch build this or kitbash (combining parts from several kits) it? If you built it from a kit, do you have the name or sku # of the kit?

My wife thinks I'm looney but after spending 15-20 minutes in that store, my desire to create in that "art form" is greater than ever!

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2008, 9:00 PM   #5

Calr, I didn't know you worked for IBM. IBM = I've Been Moved or I Build Models. :-) This is the 50th anniversary of Lego brick.

I built it from Lego Technics 8288 Crawler Crane kit. It was released in 2006, I believe. It is not on the current Lego.com website. I found it on BrickLink, a kind of eBay for Legos. I first saw it on the BrickShelf Gallery a couple of weeks ago and said I have to build one myself. It was quite enjoyable.
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2008, 9:42 PM   #6

I thought I had commented on this yesterday. Cool building there!

My son would be jealous. I'd better not show him these postings or he'll pull his Legos out. He still has every one he ever got. That used to be his "what to get David for Christmas/birthday/whatever". Any type of Lego.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote